  1. Jim

    Davey Guest

    Seconded.

    Davey, Jul 9, 2014

  2. Jim

    Woody Guest

    Why not? I use VoIP (on VM) through voip.co.uk and Sipgate
    with no problem whatsoever.

    Woody, Jul 9, 2014

  3. Jim

    Mark Guest

    FWIW I got FTTC before ADSL2.
    Also very useful if you've got kids who want to stream videos all the
    time.

    Mark, Jul 10, 2014
  4. Jim

    Davey Guest

    Wow! Either would be an improvement here. ADSL2 has never been
    mentioned, we're still in the 20th (even 19th?) century. What is
    annoying is that BT still keep sending adverts for unavailable fibre
    service.
    Thankfully, that does not apply here.

    Davey, Jul 10, 2014
  5. Jim

    Mark Guest

    That reminds me when I once got a personal invitation, addressed to me
    at home, trying to pursuade me to get cable. There is no cable in my
    area.
    Although, at 2Mbps, everything was slow.

    Mark, Jul 10, 2014
  6. VM regularly send me bumf about their cable services, despite the fact
    that I've told them I live in a private road that can't receive it. At
    least it's only generic bumf without any personal details on it, so I
    don't need to bother shredding it but can put it straight in the bin.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 10, 2014
  7. Jim

    Davey Guest

    That's probably stuff that the Postman has to deliver to every
    household, so there are no addresses. We get a load of it, for window
    blinds, furniture, etc.

    Davey, Jul 10, 2014
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    It's both in fact. It can be an ADSL modem-router
    or a VDSL router.
    Zen gives you one.
    Quite close.
    Not if London can suck up all the money earmarked for it ...
    All done now, phone and fibre, awaiting the MAC.

    Must say it was a real pleasure to deal with the professionals
    at Zen.

    Jim, Jul 10, 2014
  9. Jim

    Jim Guest

    The same sad old Brit story. Give all the money
    to London and SE England while the rest of get the
    crumbs - eventually.

    I'm just sorry I didn't go to live in France when
    I was younger and leave this unpalatable and failing
    country behind for ever !
    I thought I didn't need it, but persuaded myself
    when it became available. Zen offer 80 down 20 up
    with phone for around £45 no setup fee. My present
    ISP (the Co-op ex Namesco) could only offer 30-odd
    down and it would have cost me over £70 the first
    month with setup and modem and so on - no phone!

    Jim, Jul 10, 2014
  10. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Our local Tesco has a large hoarding outside
    offering money off diesel/petrol, but doesn't
    have a petrol station !

    Jim, Jul 10, 2014
  11. Jim

    Davey Guest

    Suffolk is in South East England, though. Certainly as far as, say,
    Bill Wright is concerned!

    Davey, Jul 10, 2014
  12. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Yes, but it's rural and north of the
    Corrupt City.

    Jim, Jul 12, 2014
  13. Jim

    Davey Guest

    Yep. We even have to drag MPs out here to the sticks to show them major
    trunk roads (A47) that are two-lane and badly need widening. And that's
    not two lanes each way, that's two lanes total.
    And as for fixing pot-holes, well.....

    Davey, Jul 12, 2014
  14. Theo Markettos, Jul 12, 2014
  15. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Same at this side of the country. We've been waiting
    for a bypass for over 20 years.

    Jim, Jul 13, 2014
  16. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I've no idea. I wouldn't have gone for the
    broadband, but for better transport, health-
    services, elderly care, education, not to
    mention the food ... all the things in which
    we here come 20th to 30th-odd in the world
    league-tables.

    Jim, Jul 13, 2014
  17. Jim

    Davey Guest

    I must change my comment from "MPs" to "Ministers", as it was the
    local MPs who demonstrated to the Ministers how bad it was, by the
    simple method of putting them in a car and driving them along the road.
    Slowly, but as fast as traffic conditions allowed.

    There's a village near here that badly needs a bypass, but despite a
    plan several years ago for a new development of 50 houses having been
    refused planning permission, due to lack of infrastructure, the bypass
    plan comes with a plan for 1800 new homes. Umm, there is a mathematical
    conundrum here.

    Davey, Jul 14, 2014
  18. Jim

    Jim Guest

    We're getting at least 2000 new homes on prime
    agricultural land and still no bypass/ No extra
    doctors, no new schools.

    Marvellous what a few thousand from the developers
    to the planners can accomplish.

    (Gone well off-topic, sorry).

    Jim, Jul 15, 2014
  19. Jim

    Davey Guest

    Yup.

    Davey, Jul 15, 2014
  20. Jim

    Mark Guest

    IIRC they're planning about 30,000 new homes on greenbelt land in
    Gloucestershire.

    Mark, Jul 17, 2014