    The package downloads failed at least 6 times.......and took almost 9
    hours.

    It should have taken less than one hour.

    steve, Dec 29, 2005

  2. steve

    gimp Guest

    heh - i'm not looking forward to next week when i do an XP install, how
    long will i have online to do updates before i get taken down by a
    virus..? its down to something like 15 mins..? :p

    gimp, Dec 29, 2005

  3. steve

    Geoff M Guest

    Download Autopatcher before you start - all the updates in one tasty
    package.
    Geoff

    Geoff M, Dec 30, 2005
  4. steve

    gimp Guest

    cool - that's just the critical OS updates right..? not the recommended
    or hardware updates (which i don't want ;) ).

    gimp, Dec 30, 2005
  5. steve

    mario Guest

    When you install Autopatcher you get to pick which patches to apply.

    mario

    mario, Dec 30, 2005
  6. steve

    Rob J Guest

    Are you using a resuming downloader, such as wget?

    Rob J, Dec 30, 2005
  7. Surely if you have service pack 2 installation cd you'll be sweet?

    So, install xp, install sp2, switch on firewall, connect to net and download
    updates.

    You'll be right as rain.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 30, 2005
  8. steve

    Rob J Guest

    Good enough to keep the machine up while updates are installed. Don't
    listen to all that crap from MS haters.

    Rob J, Dec 31, 2005
  9. steve

    swints Guest

    Whats all this firewall business about!?!?!

    I work for an Internet Helpdesk and have been without a firewall for 2
    years!

    I think the public is too concerned about being infected or having
    their privacy invaded. I wonder who has been perpetuating this problem
    of paranoia!?!?!

    swints, Jan 2, 2006
  10. T'was the 1 Jan 2006 21:33:06 -0800 when I remembered "swints"
    By working at an internet helpdesk, this may (or may not) show a
    higher intelligence in terms of computing than the rest of the general
    population. While you maybe aware that those flashing ads on websites
    saying "You may have spyware on your system. Click here to remove" are
    just ads, I know people who think that they're real dialog boxes.
    Having a firewall certainly doesn't harm your chances of staying
    protected.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 5, 2006