    Regading the PCI modem - is one as good as another? would they all
    connect dialling up in the same way?

    , Jan 16, 2005

  2. chuckie® Guest

    Slightly confused on this end. DSL uses a DSL modem (usually external) and
    an ethernet connection (either onboard or PCI). I can only guess that by
    'PCI modem' you are referring to the ethernet card? Mayhap there is an
    internal PCI type DSL modem, however, I haven't seen one. A standard PCI
    modem connects to a telephone line, not part of DSL, or cable for that
    matter. Do you have DSL service now? Mayhap it's different on your side of
    the 'pond', and, I, therefore, don't know what I'm talking about (entirely
    possible, btw)...luck...

    chuckie®, Jan 17, 2005

  3. Guest

    nope, same either side of the pond.

    DSL Modem can be internal - PCI. Or external. In which case it can be
    USB or an ethernet modem. Ethernet modems plug into an ethernet
    port(onboard or pci).

    Nothing is 'made in england' anymore. or 'made in britain'. We get it
    all from you guys/blokes over in the USA.

    PCI DSL modem
    http://www.edcwireless.com/PCIDslModemfeat.htm

    PCI ADSL modem
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3693&item=6735011833&rd=1

    I think the only difference, is that on this side of the pond we call
    it ADSL and on your side it's called DSL. I may be wrong though,

    , Jan 17, 2005
  4. Thor Guest

    and we get it from China, Taiwan, and Korea. LOL!

    Thor, Jan 17, 2005
  5. Ben Cottrell Guest

    ADSL and DSL are not the same. "DSL" is a more generic term for the
    technology, ADSL is a specific implementation or 'type' of DSL.

    sometimes DSL is also known as xDSL (where you can have ADSL, IDSL,
    SDSL, VDSL etc..)

    Ben Cottrell, Jan 17, 2005
  6. Plato Guest

    Which is all made in Asia. ps if it weren't for you blokes running India
    for years they never would have been bilingual Hindi/English so its YOUR
    fault that we got stuck now with India tech support. Why didn't you just
    stick with selling opium to em you had to teach em English as well.
    Thanks for nothing :)

    Oh and while I'm at it I never saw any apology for you guys burning down
    our White House years ago you terrorists you. BTW you still cant get a
    real cup of java in England no wonder you cant produce anything you're
    prolly all asleep 24.7

    Plato, Jan 17, 2005
  7. Plato Guest

    That'd have to be South Korea.

    Plato, Jan 17, 2005
  8. Trent© Guest

    Or a dial-up modem...telephone line. Yer correct on all the above.

    Internal modems can also come in ISA...besides PCI...and I believe
    also in EISA. At any rate, the card must simply meet the internal
    architecture of the machine. PCI is simply an internal architecture
    standard. External modems must have a port to connect it to...serial,
    etc. USB is simply another architecture for an external modem.

    AFAIK, all modern modems are capable of PPPoE. But this capability is
    a function of the provider. You must match the modem to the
    capability of your provider.
    Just for the record...China and Korea MAY be cities in the U.S. But
    that stuff if not made here. There is ANOTHER China and Korea...much
    larger than those cities. lol There's probably a city in the U.S.
    called Taiwan, too.
    DSL is the basic. From that point, there are different types of DSL.
    Asynchronous DSL (ADSL) is one of them. The term is not particular to
    any side of the pond. Its an engineering standard.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jan 18, 2005
  9. Guest

    indian technical support is better than british technical support!! At
    least they answer the phone.
    the sky was brilliantly illuminated
    i did hear that tea has more caffeine than coffee. When i think
    'java', i think of a boring programming language and an even more
    boring website.

    , Jan 18, 2005