    in other countries? What's the situation like overseas?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 13, 2007

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Crash Guest

    Not really - my sessions last from weeks to minutes.

    What has changed though is that with Orcon now sessions come and go without me
    really noticing - even if I am active at the time a session drops. A new
    session always starts within a few seconds (according to the router log) and I
    always get the same IP address allocated. The VPN client I must use does not
    notice what happened.

    In contrast with Xtra (up to June last year) I knew about every session failure.
    Most times I had to reboot the router (same one as I have now) to get a new
    session and the changed IP address stuffed the VPN client.

    Crash.

    Crash, Mar 13, 2007

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Adam Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL

    There could be an argument that the phone companies are
    not maintaining the phone cabling as well as they did
    prior to privatization.

    The underground cables carry positive pressure from the
    exchange to expel moisture. Dryers too for that pressure.

    Lord knows if they have any competent staff left, attending
    the exchanges across NZ, to maintain the cable in the ground.
    I'm sure it would be impossible to find out.

    Adam, Mar 13, 2007
  4. Au contraire, I went through a period about 9 months ago where my connection
    would drop off or slow down all the time, several times a day typically, at the
    moment it's very solid indeed and my sessions last for well over a week,
    easily, unless I disconnect on purpose.

    I have a suspicion that the dry weather may have something to do with that and
    that things may get worse again once the mud-season comes along. We shall see.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Mar 13, 2007
  5. Oh that is a bunch o

    wogers nemesis, Mar 13, 2007
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Richard Guest

    Yes, more active connections means more cross talk on the cables which
    were never designed to carry the high frequancies that adsl uses.

    Get used to it, with unbundling there is no reason for it to be improved.

    Richard, Mar 13, 2007
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Earl Grey Guest

    Earl Grey, Mar 13, 2007
  8. i never have a problem... i dont know what all you guys are on about

    Andrew Lambert, Mar 14, 2007
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Earl Grey Guest

    Thats because they are talking about their problems, not yours.

    Earl Grey, Mar 14, 2007
  10. Well no.. they asked
    Does anyone else find their ADSL is more and more unstable as years
    pass?

    I responded saying that i never have a problem with my adsl

    Andrew Lambert, Mar 14, 2007
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet

    El Chippy Guest

    Yep, have noticed in the last 6 months that the downstream attenuation on
    my connection has doubled, with a slight loss in (already low) line speed.

    El Chippy, Mar 14, 2007
  12. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Earl Grey Guest

    Never mind.
    They told you what they were on about.
    If you have a look at the link to the Telecom report you will see why
    its going to get worse rather than better once there are ADSL2
    connections adding extra crosstalk.

    Earl Grey, Mar 14, 2007
  13. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Not true.
    Push the DSLAMs closer to the user and run fibre back to the exchanges.
    Many councils are taking the initiative to run fibre and/or neutral
    ducting. You can't do it on a national scale, but a bit of creative
    thinking can make massive improvements at a local and regional level.

    Stu Fleming, Mar 14, 2007
  14. Jamie Kahn Genet

    PeeCee Guest

    My Dynalink RTA300 goes Weeks/Months without apparent problem.
    The Router IP changes frequently, but I don't notice any affect.

    Having said that a lot of 'can't get on the internet' calls I get these days
    are fixed by rebooting the modem/router (mostly Dlink's)
    I have the feeling it allways happens after some early morning 'maintenance'
    by Telecom

    Best thing I've done lately is to dump Go Large for Adventure, everything
    just works now whereas before it was just so erratic....
    (& newsgroups work properly now)

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 14, 2007