    7.30am tommorow for a comparision

    -- ======================================================================
    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 1, 2006

  2. Your Noise Margin is low (should be say 2 times what you have to be good)
    and your Attenuation is high (lower the better), so most likely you are a
    long distance from the exchange or you have a badish line. Either of these
    things can be checked if you call up your ISP and get them to check why
    your connection has a low connection rate.

    Thanks
    Craig http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Nov 1, 2006

  3. good)...

    You mean 18 dB?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2006
  4. Collector»NZ

    El Chippy Guest

    so would you consider this line to be marginal at best?

    Down Up
    SNR Margin 13.1 22.0
    Line Atten 53.6 31.5
    Data Rate 1600 160

    El Chippy, Nov 1, 2006
  5. Up Down
    AS0(kbps): - 6560
    LS0(kbps): 160 -

    Local Tx Power: 11.95 dB
    Remote Tx Power: 9.65 dB
    Local Line Atten.: 37.0 dB
    Remote Line Atten.: 16.0 dB
    Local SNR Margin: 12.5 dB
    Remote SNR Margin: 24.0 dB

    Minor improvement over 2MB, but effective operation remains at less than
    2MB equivalent.

    Yada yada yada, Nov 1, 2006
  6. Collector»NZ

    Chris Lim Guest

    Does anyone actually get the benefit of this so-called full speed? And
    if so I wonder what percentage of total households this applies to.
    Otherwise Telecom are just advertising a theoretical upgrade - are they
    allowed to do this?

    Chris Lim, Nov 1, 2006
  7. Collector»NZ

    Crash Guest

    Xtra explain 'speed' at http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,8763,204576-203090,00.html

    Key text is "The stated speed of your plan is the maximum possible connection
    speed at which you can access the Internet. Put another way it's the maximum
    possible connection speed between your modem and your local phone exchange."

    I don't see anything misleading about this.

    They also explain the 'Go Large' plan at
    http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,8763,204549-203090,00.html

    Key text is "Downstream/ Upstream Connection Speed:
    Maximum speed - as fast as your phone line allows."

    So I don't see any room here to accuse Telecom or Xtra of making misleading
    speed claims.

    Orcon have a similar explanation at
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/faqs/reside...st_will_my_connection_go_with_full_speed_max/

    The reality is that the old plans imposed a speed-limiter which constrained
    download and upload speeds regardless of hardware capabilities. The
    speed-limiter has now been removed.

    Crash.

    Crash, Nov 1, 2006
  8. Collector»NZ

    Chris Lim Guest

    Yes I realise they are technically correct. I'm just wondering how many
    people will actually benefit from the speed constraints being removed.
    I'm one of the unlucky ones who can't even get 2mbps let alone full
    speed, so for me seeing those ads it's the equivalent of LTSA
    advertising that they are removing the motorway speed limit during rush
    hour. So instead of being limited to 100km/h but being stuck on 20km/h,
    I can now be stuck on 20km/h with no limit.

    As long as some people are getting the benefits of being 'unleashed' I
    suppose...

    Chris Lim, Nov 1, 2006
  9. Collector»NZ

    Crash Guest

    The only people affected will be those whose connection speeds (particularly
    download) were always below the speed cap for their plan. In these
    circumstances in stands to reason that there is nothing to 'unleash' by removing
    the speed caps.

    Crash.

    Crash, Nov 1, 2006
  10. Collector»NZ

    Who Am I Guest

    Which explains what... why my speed went DOWN when the limiter was
    removed ?

    Over the weekend my download speed was at BEST 1/2 of what I used to get
    and at worst 1/10th.

    Who Am I, Nov 6, 2006
  11. Collector»NZ

    Crash Guest

    That's an issue you should take up with your ISP. If it is not resolved to your
    satisfaction, consider changing.

    Crash.

    Crash, Nov 6, 2006
  12. Collector»NZ

    Who Am I Guest

    I am simply going to change from Xtra to Orcon. All my mail is now
    located on GMail so swapping ISPs is becomming less of an issue.

    Who Am I, Nov 6, 2006
  13. I have used Orcon for about 5 yrs, been the IHug an xtra route as well. Orcon
    have never failed me, but your mileage may vary. Get a domain name then you
    don't have to worry and lots of neat things you can do with a domian mail account.

    Email replies work

    -- ======================================================================
    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 7, 2006
  14. Collector»NZ

    Who Am I Guest

    Nah, I prefer the ISP to do the filtering, that way it does not come off
    MY datacap. I already run a dyndns account for my own server at home

    Who Am I, Nov 7, 2006
  15. Collector»NZ

    kiwinebula Guest

    Because the isp has bought too little bandwidth for the amount of users it
    has right, that is what you are referring to I presume.

    kiwinebula, Nov 7, 2006
  16. Collector»NZ

    Old Wolf Guest

    I heard that as well as removing the fixed limit, they are throttling
    traffic of high-volume users during peak hours. Six of one, half a
    dozen of the other...

    Old Wolf, Nov 8, 2006
  17. Collector»NZ

    Crash Guest

    Not necessarily but your ISP is your supplier so complaints about poor service
    should always be sent to them in the fist instance.

    As I understand it your ISP provides the core services - but in order to reach
    the end of the line that terminates at your house they have to use
    Telecom-provided facilities that can be a bottleneck - but your service is
    ISP-provided so complaints (and Kudos) should go to your ISP.

    Crash.

    Crash, Nov 8, 2006
  18. Collector»NZ

    kiwinebula Guest

    And have you ever tried that approach with them, I think you will find a
    brick wall in your way.

    kiwinebula, Nov 8, 2006
  19. Collector»NZ

    Crash Guest

    The approach of complaining to my ISP?

    Yes. I started with Xtra and got into a situation where sessions would last no
    more than a few minutes (with a different IP address for every session).
    Telecom visited my house 3 times, swapped my pairs back to the exchange, swapped
    the exchange port, replaced my D-LINK 302 with a 504G router and installed a
    splitter with dedicated non-filtered jack. At the end of all this my sessions
    lasted weeks and connect speeds were above my speed caps. How did I get all
    this done for nothing? Just my usual self - no rants, never get abusive, always
    deal evenly with people but equally never accept a problem as resolved when it
    is not. It took several months though.

    Then I had to move (across Wellington). Telecom/Xtra did well. New phone and
    ADSL service set up no more than 24 hours late.

    Then Xtra ditched their Usenet server. With 5 days notice and then only through
    usenet there was no time to complain (I did once with predictable results).
    Went to aioe server as a temporary measure. Did the sums and research. Picked
    Orcon on NZ-owned and the boss knows what usenet is (and has been here on occasion).

    Orcon service has been excellent. Working from home during the day everything
    (down and up) was noticeably faster. The switch happened the day Orcon said it
    would. From memory I have had to call the helpdesk twice and both were positive
    experiences (I don't recall the details - which means it was good because bad
    experiences linger in memory).

    If I have an issue, with ISPs as with anyone else, I work it and if dealt with
    unfairly I move on. Simple really.

    Crash.

    Crash, Nov 8, 2006
  20. Collector»NZ

    kiwinebula Guest

    Doesn't sound simple, but if you are happy enough dealing with all that,
    then good for you.

    kiwinebula, Nov 8, 2006