ADSL failure

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Graham J, Mar 23, 2015.

  1. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    I see Zen are reporting a failure affecting:

    Ascot
    Brighton Kemptown
    Chichester
    Chislehurst
    Colchester
    Crawley
    Dorchester
    Fulham
    Golders Green
    Hackney
    Hampstead
    Hastings
    Ipswich
    Kentish Town
    Marylebone
    Mortlake
    North Finchley
    Palmers Green
    Portsmouth North End
    South Kensington
    St. Albans
    Summertown
    Swindon
    Truro
    Walworth
    Wandsworth
    Weston-super-Mare
    Windsor
    Witney
    Woodley
    Worcester St. Peters

    .... starting at about 07:45 this morning. Can anybody explain why a
    single faulure should affect these apparently unrelated geographical
    locations - the only common factor I can see is that they are all fairly
    south ...?

    Has any other ISP reported any failures?

    Graham J, Mar 23, 2015

  2. Graham J

    Mark Carver Guest

    Perhaps that's a list of locations for punters that have so far reported
    a problem ?

    Mark Carver, Mar 23, 2015

  3. Graham J

    chris Guest

    Seems to be Zen-specific as plusnet aren't reporting anything.

    Maybe it's a set of switches that have gone down in their datacentre - I
    guess there doesn't need to be a physical relationship between lines at
    that level. Wild speculation, though????

    chris, Mar 23, 2015
  4. Graham J

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Later changed to "Nationwide" with locations as far north as Aberdeen,
    so clearly not restricted in geographical extent.
    Or maybe the locations where they have their own LLU equipment - or
    where they don't?

    Not seeing a problem here, and I'm on Zen connecting via London
    (according to traceroute), but not on an exchange where they have LLU
    equipment. Or maybe I got away with it because I'm on VDSL (FTTC)
    instead of ADSL? Soes it route differently? Nothing between my
    router and their gateway is visible to IP so it's not obvious how it's
    routed.

    I've had a couple of resyncs (upwards each time, after INP was enabled
    on the line) this year, but last actual loss of service was
    07/10/2014, and that was the only one since getting FTTC :)

    Phil W Lee, Mar 23, 2015