    are so bad I have applications that are timing out.

    If Telecom can not supply an adequate service for 256K (which I pay
    for!) then how the hell is the 2Mb service going to work ?

    whoisthis, Nov 17, 2004

  2. which 256k product are you using?
    DSL or UBS?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 17, 2004

  3. whoisthis

    DoggNZ Guest

    ISP?

    DoggNZ, Nov 17, 2004
  4. yep. It was so shitty at one stage that I wa blaming the switch for my home
    LAN. Just periods of pratically zero traffic and DNS timeouts.

    wogers nemesis, Nov 17, 2004
  5. whoisthis

    Ron McNulty Guest

    We have a 2MB service at work, over which we try to run a VPN. For the last
    week or so it has been very, very flaky.
    Judging from my experience and the number of other threads reporting
    problems, I think ADSL (or is it Xtra?) currently has serious problems.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Nov 18, 2004
  6. whoisthis

    EMB Guest

    Probably xtra. My home ADSL has just had the 2Mbit upgrade and it's
    been awesome and trouble free thus far. Our work full rate ADSL (with
    Maxnet) has run pretty faultlessly for the last few months too.

    EMB, Nov 18, 2004
  7. whoisthis

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Are you running a VPN?

    It seems that when we are using the VPN heavily, it stays up. As soon as we
    leave it for more than 15 minutes, it fails.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Nov 19, 2004
  8. whoisthis

    EMB Guest

    My wife has been VPN'd in to her work for the last 3 hours; work a bit,
    yak on the phone a bit, work some more, have another glass of wine, work
    some more, etc, etc and hasn't had any problems.

    I often VPN out from work to other sites I support without too many
    problems (and throughput tends to be slow when I get sidetracked).

    I also just spoke to a friend who is a network admin for a large
    corporate. They have no trouble with their ~250 users who VPN from home
    to work via jetstream (all via telecom/xtra).

    EMB, Nov 19, 2004
  9. Well, I'm with Orcon (but Xtra/Telecom is providing the ADSL) and I've
    _never_ had anything above 60KB per second. Average is around 15KB.
    I'm supposed to be changed over to the 2Mb service tomorrow. I'm told to
    expect an impressive increase in bandwidth and throughput. But I'm not
    holding my breath about a smooth transition. Telecom have screwed up so
    many times for me recently I've lost count.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 20, 2004
  10. whoisthis

    Gordon Guest

    Please try not to confuse the technolgy ADSL with how Telecom is
    controlling it/where it is at today.

    Gordon, Nov 20, 2004
  11. whoisthis

    Gordon Guest

    Grab a hold of yourself.

    a) switch providers
    b) Try a restart

    The above was not a multichoice question.

    Gordon, Nov 20, 2004
  12. What good would that do? Telecom would still provide the bandwidth.
    Yup, done that many times (for unrelated reasons - usually some software
    update or another).

    BTW, on a totally unrelated note Pizza Hut's online ordering
    <http://www.pizzahut.co.nz> doesn't always include their promotional
    free large hawaiian with any other large pizza or large pizza deal
    during the month of November. In fact, they seem to bugger this up all
    the time.

    Now I'm not saying you _will_ get a bad order and later the free large
    Pizza + Large Hawaiian they forgot (if need be, make a bit of a sob
    story on the phone about how you all ran out of food and your mates went
    hungry cause you never got the other pizza). But it's happened twice in
    two weeks with only two orders to me and friends. So four free Pizzas in
    total (which I don't feel the least bit bad about given how often they
    screw up) :)

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 20, 2004
  13. whoisthis

    Mark S Guest

    Check you haven't exceeded your data usage for the month.

    I just got knocked back to 64k, checked my data usage and sure enough it
    says I'm over. Its bollocks of course, so I'll be reseting my routers packet
    count at the end of this billing period and seeing what it compares like
    with what Telecom say next month.

    The bad news is that Telecoms current traffic shaping performs very badly at
    128k and below, its very "bursty", so when you get kicked back to 64k it
    feels worse than dialup.

    Mark S, Nov 22, 2004
  14. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    Long way from breaching my cap.

    Anyone got an experiances with TelstraClear, I am thinking of shofting
    my phone rental,tolls,adsl over to them and f*ck telecom altogether.

    Opinions please.

    whoisthis, Nov 23, 2004
  15. Is it actually possible to say f**k Telecom for good and still get a
    home landline and 2Mbit ADSL at a reasonable price? If so, I'm there
    baby! :) I too would love to hear some opinions, thoughts, reports on
    this, please.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 23, 2004
  16. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    Yes, it is poosible by the way I have read their site. TelstraClear are
    saying they want 30-40$ of the market, well the way telescum treat their
    customers they may end up with 60% or more. Watch the share prices, I
    think they will give a good indication of what will happen to telecon

    whoisthis, Nov 23, 2004
  17. whoisthis

    Mark S Guest

    TelstraClear haven't got a dogs show of getting the market.

    Once NG kicks its all over rover (UBS is just Telecom stalling for time).

    Mark S, Nov 24, 2004
  18. I agree, but not for the same reasons.
    NG = Next Gen network?
    whats the general idea on that one?
    Fibre to the home?
    IP phones?
    IP Cell phones?(that'd be handy...)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 24, 2004
  19. whoisthis

    Mark S Guest

    Fibre to curb (maybe ethernet or vdsl to the home), VoIP, High Speed, Data,
    Video on Demand, Terresterial "Sky", and whatever else they can squeeze out
    of it. It also gets Telecom out of their Kiwishare and other obligations, as
    they are building the network from scratch they don't have to share ;)

    Mark S, Nov 24, 2004