    vpdn statements and make sure the outside interface of the PIX reflects the
    public IP address. Its a static address so I can just manually enter it in.

    Am I on the right track and can anyone point me towards an example config?

    goooo, Feb 3, 2005

  2. goooo

    Tosh Guest

    Would the ADSL modem or the PIX firewall do the PPPoE authenication?
    The pix, however.
    Correct.
    Bye,
    Tosh.

    Tosh, Feb 3, 2005

  3. It has been my experience that "static IP" from the ADSL provider just
    means they assign you the same address everytime you request one, not
    necessarily that the request process stops. I had some trouble getting
    my 827 to work with my static IP set manually, instead I configured it
    to negotiate the IP and it gets the same one from Bellsouth everytime.
    It is my understanding that the PIX after a certain level of code (6.3
    I want to say) will actually do the PPPoE authentication, if you
    decide to do this just be mindful that your setup may work better just
    letting the PIX negotiate an IP since your provider will probably give
    you the same IP regardless.

    Good luck
    -Robert

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Feb 3, 2005
  4. goooo

    unclerobbie Guest

    I want to do the same sort of thing, I have a Cisco 827 adsl with a PIX
    515 behind it. I want the PIX to get the one public ip address. What
    would the config for the 827 look like? Also I am not sure that the 827
    is currently doing PPPoE, how can I tell.

    Here's a portion of the 827's current config:

    interface ATM0
    no ip address
    ip directed-broadcast
    ip nat outside
    ip virtual-reassembly
    atm ilmi-keepalive
    dsl operating-mode auto
    hold-queue 224 in
    pvc 0/100
    encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
    dialer pool-member 1
    !
    !
    interface Dialer0
    ip address 198.x.x.x 255.255.255.248
    ip nat outside
    ip virtual-reassembly
    encapsulation ppp
    dialer pool 1
    dialer-group 2
    ppp chap hostname xxxxxxxx
    ppp chap password 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    !

    Thanks,

    Robert

    unclerobbie, Feb 9, 2005
  5. goooo

    unclerobbie Guest

    I have found a document that seems to say that I am using PPPoA. Would
    the PIX have to do this authentication if the cisco 827 is put into
    bridge mode? Is the PIX capable of this?

    unclerobbie, Feb 9, 2005
  6. goooo

    Tosh Guest

    I have found a document that seems to say that I am using PPPoA. Would
    You have to configure your 827 in bridged mode (rfc1483 bdridged) and
    configure your pix to take care of the ppp issue (encap + auth), but pppoa
    has nothing to do with this.
    Afaik bridging has nothing to do with pppoa and pix supports only pppoe.
    You have to investigate if your dsl supports both pppoa and pppoe or can be
    switched to pppoe.
    Bye,
    Tosh.

    Tosh, Feb 10, 2005