ADSL 2+ router recommendation please - mixed network

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by comp.john, Dec 31, 2010.

  1. comp.john

    comp.john Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a router that can do pass-through via ethernet on a
    range of IPs yet allow me to NAT the wireless interface.

    So, let's say for example that my real IP range is 1.2.3.0/28

    ..1 is the router
    ..2 to .14 serviced by the ethernet interface and connected to unix boxen
    ..15 to wifi interface running NAT which services windows laptops
    wirelessly

    I currently have a speedtouch 585v7 and cannot use its wireless
    interface because turning NAT on turns it on the whole router not just
    on one interface. In this sutuation I have connected a netgear adsl
    router to it via the ethernet port using a port on the LAN interface of
    the netgear. I've given that a real ip (.15) and nat behind the wifi
    interface (again, on this router, NAT is either on or off on the entire
    router)

    So is there any router that will allow me to non-NAT and NAT?

    thanks

    comp.john, Dec 31, 2010

  2. comp.john

    nnk Guest

    I am looking for something similar - what should I be looking for in the
    specs - currently I have * i/p addresses (in realiy this is 5) I need to map
    4 to xboxes to give a direct 1:1 connection (open NAT in xbox terms) and the
    other i/p is then NAT ed for multiple computers etc see
    http://www.zen107481.zen.co.uk/nettop3.jpg for network

    This means I have multiple rouers running all the time - ideally I would
    like an 8 port router (have a separate adsl moden available) that I can then
    assign 4 Non NAT ports for xboxes and 4 for AP and other wired computers

    Any Ideas

    Nik

    nnk, Jan 2, 2011

  3. comp.john

    comp.john Guest

    This is useful information. I was unaware that the wireless part was
    bridged to the wired part or that this was commonplace.
    I figured this might be the case. At work I'm used to dealing with cisco
    gear which can do this kind of thing. I don't know a lot about the
    specifics of other routers and i don't want to pay through the nose for
    a cisco.
    I do testing and run servers (openbsd/freebsd/linux) on the wired
    network and on these systems firewalling is adequately handled at
    the OS level. Not having to think about NAT is one less headache.
    Wirelessly it's just windows laptops that connect and these need
    additional protection/security because Windows :D also I don't want to
    waste a real IP on just one windows box.

    comp.john, Jan 4, 2011