    Spyware because I paid for this myself possible false pos
    itive?

    RE: Adsafe After own scan Norton Security

    Heidi Manway, Jan 19, 2007

  2. Heidi Manway

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Jan 20, 2007

  3. Heidi Manway

    peecee Guest

    Heidi

    I note this is one of several posts to nz.comp you have made about
    Virus's,
    Spyware and scan programs in the last few days.

    May I offer the following thoughts on the topics you've raised.

    1 From the Googling I've done Error Guard looks very suspect, I
    would
    trust Ad-Aware on this one.
    2 It is generally best to only install one Anti Virus at a time.
    3 Which Anti Virus product is the best (paid vs free) is open to
    debate.
    4 Norton and McAfee have a reputation for being bloat ware and for
    dragging your PC's performance down.
    5 In my opinion the 'best' Anti Virus/Spyware program is the one
    that is
    up to date and detects Virus's/Spywares that appear on your PC. i.e.
    the
    'best' is no dam good if it doesn't detect a nasty because it's
    subscription
    ran out.
    6. Anti Spyware products are many and varied, a large number of them
    are
    Scam's
    7 This site is regarded as an honest guide to Anti Spyware programs
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/
    8 The practical difference between paid and free Anti Spyware
    products is
    usually Auto update/realtime scan facilities, your choice.
    9 Several Anti Spyware programs are usually recognised as being
    better
    than one.

    Which all boils down to:

    AVG or Avast with Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster & Windows defender.
    Pros: Free, Programs written for more altruistic reasons, Many of the
    free
    one's are recommended by hands on professionals. (i.e. the people that
    actually have to clean this crap off PC's)
    Cons: Require more hands on management & scanning, unofficial support
    only.

    Norton/McAfee/Sophos/Trend/....(etc) + your pick of the paid for Anti
    Spyware products.
    Pros:They do the job (?) automatically (?), you have some support.
    Cons: They Cost and cost and cost..., Many are bloatware, Paid is no
    guarantee they are any good. Paid is no guarantee there is good
    support.

    May I suggest you 'Google'. eg 'Error Guard any good?' and take a
    sampling
    of users feedback to gauge the effectiveness of any product.

    Best
    Paul.

    peecee, Jan 20, 2007
  4. Heidi Manway

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Heidi Manway wrote:

    Heidi,

    Please pick a fusking group and stick to it. It's considered bad form to
    crosspost to so many groups. Not only that but it's pissing *me* off, hence
    no help from me.

    HAND.

    ~misfit~, Jan 20, 2007