Adobe update

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mayayana, Jun 20, 2013.

  1. Mayayana

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <kqf5s5$ag7$>, says...

    > Anyway why not offer the 8 year-old software for free to anyone .
    > >

    > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    > as a marketing scheme. They just don't want to advertise
    > it as such. If it were otherwise they'd have a legal warning,
    > people would have to sign up to get a serial number, and
    > they never would have posted the installers in the first place.
    > (After all, if one bought CS2 it's not Adobe's responsibility
    > to replace a lost CD. It's only their responsibility to make
    > sure you can activate it.)
    >
    > It actually wasn't so long ago that one used to be able to
    > buy magazines with copies of outdated software on CDs.
    > I once got a full, legal copy of Lotus WordPro that way.
    > The companies did it to entice new potential customers.

    Then there's the issue of try before buy.

    Way backalong I needed to prepare a report with a lot of equations in
    it. Lotus Manuscript had just come out and was supposed to have that
    capability, but I had some questions about how it operated and wanted to
    try it. Lotus had a demo but the demo disk had printing disabled, so I
    couldn't tell how the output looked. So I called Lotus and asked them
    what could be done about this. They said contact an authorized Lotus
    dealer and gave me some names in the area. One of them had a copy in
    stock and over the phone said that they could demo it for me. So I made
    an appointment, drove over an hour to their location, waited an hour
    while the person I talked to got out of his meeting, and then was told
    that I had to buy it before they would "demonstrate" it and that having
    bought it and found that it was unsatisfactory I would not be able to
    return it. I asked him why he had told me that he could demo it when I
    talked to him on the phone, and having gotten no satisfactory response I
    told him what he and the water lily he rode in on could do, dropped by
    home for my Selectric symbol element, and prepared the thing using a
    Selectric instead.

    I could have just called Blackbeard the Pirate (not what we really
    called him--names have been changed to protect the guilty) who I am sure
    had a cracked copy (if he didn't have a cracked copy it would be the
    only thing of which he didn't have a cracked copy) but it was for the
    company and I was trying to stay strictly legal.

    J. Clarke, Jun 26, 2013

  2. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <kqf5s5$ag7$>, Mayayana
    <> wrote:

    > Anyway why not offer the 8 year-old software for free to anyone .
    > >

    > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    > as a marketing scheme.

    it's not a marketing scheme.

    it was a financial decision to shut down the servers for an app that
    hasn't been sold in a long time and won't run on any current hardware.

    why would anyone come up with a marketing scheme for obsolete software?

    > They just don't want to advertise
    > it as such. If it were otherwise they'd have a legal warning,

    they say that it's for legitimate owners. they trust people will do the
    right thing.

    > people would have to sign up to get a serial number, and
    > they never would have posted the installers in the first place.

    maintaining the server costs money.

    the whole point is that it's no longer worth it for an app that won't
    run on any current hardware. those servers are better used for more
    important things, such as *current* activations.

    > (After all, if one bought CS2 it's not Adobe's responsibility
    > to replace a lost CD. It's only their responsibility to make
    > sure you can activate it.)

    many companies will replace lost media to the registered owner,
    including adobe. however, they may not have older versions anymore.

    <http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/obtain-replacement-cd
    s-dvds-manuals.html>
    If you are the registered owner of an Adobe product, then you're
    eligible to obtain replacement DVDs or documentation for that
    product, if available.

    nospam, Jun 26, 2013

  3. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    Whisky-dave <> wrote:

    > > > But on the first day, what if they change the way they do things and
    > > > screw it up for those that have paid, wouldn't be the fist time.

    > > they have a responsibility to make it work for paying customers.

    > yes they do, but a higher responsibilty is that it keeps working and they
    > don;t try to shut it off because of piracy as they did with CS2.

    the only thing they shut down was cs2 activations, and they offered a
    way to activate it without the activation servers. it's not a big
    deal.

    > > > Maybe yoiu need to find out why they turned of thier activation servers
    > > > for CS2 could be that it wasn;t working very well could it. They did say
    > > > technical issues now long's CS2 been out 8 years and they can't solve the
    > > > technical issue(s) ? doesn;t lok good when ntheir new solution tom piracy
    > > > fails in a day, if that is the case haven't seen it confirmed yet.

    > > i told you, it's because the number of people activating a new copy for
    > > something that old is for all intents, zero.

    > So you forget all your current customers.

    it doesn't affect any current customers.

    > > it wasn't worth it to keep the servers running,

    > How much does it cost to keep a server running they never mentioned cost they
    > said technical issues.

    more than they can justify.

    the hardware can be put to much better use than waiting for the
    occasional activation of a decade old app that won't run on anything
    current.

    > >so they opened up activation for existing owners
    > > who might need to move it to a new machine (which is also essentially
    > > zero).

    > CS2 won;t work on new machines will it.

    it won't, which is why shutting off the activation server doesn't
    actually matter anymore. anyone who wants it has already bought it, or
    bought one of its successors or a even competing product.

    and when i said move to a new machine, i meant a compatible one. people
    buy and sell used computers all the time. not everyone needs or can
    afford the latest and greatest hardware. if the machine on which
    they're running it fails, they might buy another off ebay, and would
    need to transfer the activation. not a common scenario but it could
    happen.

    > > > depends how well it has been cracked I assume and teh way it has been
    > > > done.

    > > it doesn't matter how well it's been cracked.

    > It does acciording to adobe who lose money.

    they've only lost money if they lost a sale.

    someone who pirates it might not have bought it.

    > > the collaborative features will need to have a valid account, and a
    > > pirated app won't have that. that part of the suite will not work.

    > That part of the app would not worry me, and I doubt it will bother most
    > people that are likely to pirate the software.

    a major part of creative cloud is the collaborative features and
    someone who pirates it won't get that.

    > > and if it pings adobe's servers, adobe will know there's a pirated app
    > > from a certain ip address.

    > Yes if it pings Adobe my CS2 CS3 CS4 CS5 CS5.5, never got the chance to ping
    > adobe.

    it pings, but this is about creative cloud which *has* to ping to find
    out if it's a valid copy.

    > > > So lots of compoanies rather than just adobe will have do follow this
    > > > model before I'll calll it a trend, it's an idea that's been tried and failed,
    > > > tried and failed.

    > > lots of companies *are* following this model. it's nothing new and it's
    > > growing.

    > I heard the samae about hardware dongels that was growing too, somewhere I
    > still have a turbo C dongle.
    > If a compnay can find a relible system of anti-piracy then it will take off,
    > but as yet I don't thinkk they have and yes lots are trying it they always
    > have.

    nothing is perfect.

    they just have to make it more of a hassle than paying for it.

    apple was very successful with the itunes music store because 99 cents
    for a song was easier than trying to find a copy for free somewhere and
    then getting a crap quality copy.

    on the other hand, when software costs hundreds or thousands of
    dollars, it can worth the effort to find a serial number or cracked
    copy.

    saving $1000 for a few minutes of work is a better deal than saving a
    buck.

    > Whether or not subscription will work comes down to not just the technically
    > side but whether or not the user wants it.

    users want it.

    > > cs as it exists now doesn't run on tablets or phones, but that doesn't
    > > mean a future product won't.

    > If they do adobe might need to change it's licencing again.
    > People subscribing to the software might expect it to work on a desktop,
    > laptop and mobile device, presently adobe only allow you two devices.
    > Why I'm not sure. (well I sort of know but don't agree)

    nobody expects the desktop version of creative cloud to work on an ipad
    or phone.

    adobe is going to offer *different* apps for tablets/phones, and
    they're going to work with the desktop versions.

    one possibility is make initial edits on the ipad and then continue
    working on the laptop at home, without having to sync.

    > > already, there's photoshop touch and several other adobe apps on mobile
    > > devices. there will be more, and they will integrate with adobe apps on
    > > the desktop.

    > Interesting app that subscription based as that's where adobe are going ?
    > Can I only have it on 1 or 2 iPads or more ?

    all iphone/ipad apps can be installed to an unlimited number of ipads
    or iphones.

    nospam, Jun 26, 2013
  4. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <51cada31$0$3740$-secrets.com>, peternew
    <> wrote:

    > >> already, there's photoshop touch and several other adobe apps on mobile
    > >> devices. there will be more, and they will integrate with adobe apps on
    > >> the desktop.

    > > Interesting app that subscription based as that's where adobe are going ?
    > > Can I only have it on 1 or 2 iPads or more ?

    > Don't bet he ranch on his predictions. He/she is technically correct.
    > Under the right conditions, MS Paint is compatible with Photoshop, as
    > are lots of other programs.

    nonsense. about the only 'compatibility' is both can open jpegs.

    furthermore, what i said isn't a prediction. adobe has said they're
    working on mobile apps that will work with the cloud.

    you're talking out your ass, again.

    > As I said earlier, trying to turn a product
    > into a service is still an experiment.

    it's not an experiment at all. plenty of companies have been doing it
    for many years.

    the only 'experiment' was creative cloud over the past year. adobe was
    satisfied with the results (and it exceeded their expectations), so for
    all intents, the 'experiment' already happened and was a success.

    > nospam has problems distinguishing products from services.

    nonsense. i know the difference quite well, much more than you do from
    what i can tell.

    nospam, Jun 26, 2013
  5. Mayayana

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, 26 June 2013 17:50:57 UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:

    > Anyway why not offer the 8 year-old software for free to anyone .
    >

    > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    >
    > as a marketing scheme.

    I doesnt to me, have you read it ?
    http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/

    "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products."

    >They just don't want to advertise

    if that were true why incluse the above ?

    > it as such. If it were otherwise they'd have a legal warning,
    >
    > people would have to sign up to get a serial number,

    So the test in red isnl;t a warning ?

    > and
    >
    > they never would have posted the installers in the first place.

    Why not if they have screwed their paid up users surely they should offer a replacement.

    > (After all, if one bought CS2 it's not Adobe's responsibility
    >
    > to replace a lost CD.

    It should be if they are selling a license rather than a product.
    No one is asking themn to supply a CD.
    But they should have such a system in place to replace damaged or no functioning CDs at a reasonable cost of materials.

    > It's only their responsibility to make
    >
    > sure you can activate it.)

    Which you can't because
    Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue.

    > It actually wasn't so long ago that one used to be able to
    >
    > buy magazines with copies of outdated software on CDs.
    >
    > I once got a full, legal copy of Lotus WordPro that way.
    >
    > The companies did it to entice new potential customers.

    Pity adobe don;t think that way.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 27, 2013
  6. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    | > as a marketing scheme.
    |
    | I doesnt to me, have you read it ?
    | http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/

    Yes. I posted the link, remember? :)

    | "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who
    legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current
    use of these products."

    | >They just don't want to advertise
    |
    | if that were true why incluse the above ?

    To me it seems that they've deliberately worded it
    to allow legal use. "Should" is not a legal term. In context
    the implication is that "should" means the software is no
    longer suitable for use. There's no need to sign up or ID
    oneself. And as I noted earlier, reports say that the
    EULA click-through states that the software is legal to
    use if it was obtained from Adobe.

    *So there is nothing in the download or install indicating
    that use of the product might be illegal or unauthorized.*

    I'm just reporting the facts. You can read it as you like.

    Mayayana, Jun 27, 2013
  7. Mayayana

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, 27 June 2013 14:37:09 UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
    > | > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    >
    > | > as a marketing scheme.
    >

    > | I doesnt to me, have you read it ?
    >
    > | http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/
    >

    > Yes. I posted the link, remember? :)
    >

    > | "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who
    >
    > legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current
    >
    > use of these products."
    >

    > | >They just don't want to advertise
    >

    > | if that were true why incluse the above ?
    >

    > To me it seems that they've deliberately worded it
    >
    > to allow legal use. "Should" is not a legal term.

    What do you mean by that it's just a word.
    It's as legal as any other word.

    >In context
    >
    > the implication is that "should" means the software is no
    >
    > longer suitable for use.

    Where did you get that idea.

    > There's no need to sign up or ID
    >
    > oneself. And as I noted earlier, reports say that the
    >
    > EULA click-through states that the software is legal to
    >
    > use if it was obtained from Adobe.

    Not sure what's meant by that, where else could one buy Adobe products ?
    Or are you saying adobe products brought at retail stores are illegal or any on-line vender, or are you just refering to CS2 ?

    > *So there is nothing in the download or install indicating
    >
    > that use of the product might be illegal or unauthorized.*

    Then why does it say this on the front page of the adobe site for CS2.
    "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products. "

    So who legitimately purchased CS2 , adobe have no idea it seems.
    It uses teh word customers have you a problem with the legality of that word too ?

    > I'm just reporting the facts. You can read it as you like.

    you are NOT reproting FACTS.

    I DO NOT believe Adobe wants those that have not paid for the sorftware (called CS2) to be able to use a 'free' copy of CS2 by downloading it from adobe or anywhere else.

    I DO NOT believe that Adobe would deny anyone the use of CS2 if they purchased it at a store or on-line .

    Whisky-dave, Jun 27, 2013
  8. Mayayana

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <kqhesn$i4l$>, says...

    > | > It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    > | > as a marketing scheme.
    > |
    > | I doesnt to me, have you read it ?
    > | http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/
    > |

    > Yes. I posted the link, remember? :)
    >
    > | "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who
    > legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current
    > use of these products."
    > |
    > | >They just don't want to advertise
    > |
    > | if that were true why incluse the above ?
    >
    > To me it seems that they've deliberately worded it
    > to allow legal use. "Should" is not a legal term.

    While I understand your point, the statutes abound with punishments for
    actions where the defendant "knew or should have known" so I'm pretty
    sure that "should" has an established meaning in law.

    Still, it appears in the extant context to be in the nature of a
    suggestion rather than a mandate.

    J. Clarke, Jun 27, 2013
  9. Mayayana

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/26/2013 3:42 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
    > In article <kqf5s5$ag7$>, says...
    >>

    >> Anyway why not offer the 8 year-old software for free to anyone .
    >>>

    >> It looks to me like that's exactly what they're doing,
    >> as a marketing scheme. They just don't want to advertise
    >> it as such. If it were otherwise they'd have a legal warning,
    >> people would have to sign up to get a serial number, and
    >> they never would have posted the installers in the first place.
    >> (After all, if one bought CS2 it's not Adobe's responsibility
    >> to replace a lost CD. It's only their responsibility to make
    >> sure you can activate it.)
    >>
    >> It actually wasn't so long ago that one used to be able to
    >> buy magazines with copies of outdated software on CDs.
    >> I once got a full, legal copy of Lotus WordPro that way.
    >> The companies did it to entice new potential customers.

    > Then there's the issue of try before buy.
    >
    > Way backalong I needed to prepare a report with a lot of equations in
    > it. Lotus Manuscript had just come out and was supposed to have that
    > capability, but I had some questions about how it operated and wanted to
    > try it. Lotus had a demo but the demo disk had printing disabled, so I
    > couldn't tell how the output looked. So I called Lotus and asked them
    > what could be done about this. They said contact an authorized Lotus
    > dealer and gave me some names in the area. One of them had a copy in
    > stock and over the phone said that they could demo it for me. So I made
    > an appointment, drove over an hour to their location, waited an hour
    > while the person I talked to got out of his meeting, and then was told
    > that I had to buy it before they would "demonstrate" it and that having
    > bought it and found that it was unsatisfactory I would not be able to
    > return it. I asked him why he had told me that he could demo it when I
    > talked to him on the phone, and having gotten no satisfactory response I
    > told him what he and the water lily he rode in on could do, dropped by
    > home for my Selectric symbol element, and prepared the thing using a
    > Selectric instead.
    >
    > I could have just called Blackbeard the Pirate (not what we really
    > called him--names have been changed to protect the guilty) who I am sure
    > had a cracked copy (if he didn't have a cracked copy it would be the
    > only thing of which he didn't have a cracked copy) but it was for the
    > company and I was trying to stay strictly legal.

    I had a similar problem with any early verson of WordPerfect, with a
    different outcome. There were several dealers in my area. the first was
    unable/unwilling to show me the basics. The second, local dealer lent me
    a copy, spent about an hour with me. I wound up purchasing the program,
    and paid him to teach my secretary how to use it. My issue was the
    translation from Lanier to WordPerfect.

    Peter

    PeterN, Jun 28, 2013
  10. Mayayana

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/26/2013 6:00 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> Interesting app that subscription based as that's where adobe are going ?
    >>> Can I only have it on 1 or 2 iPads or more ?

    >> Don't bet he ranch on his predictions. He/she is technically correct.
    >> Under the right conditions, MS Paint is compatible with Photoshop, as
    >> are lots of other programs.

    > nonsense. about the only 'compatibility' is both can open jpegs.

    And the others? The one's that will open 8bit tiff files, while
    maintaining layers?

    You odn't seem to understand what "under the right conditions," means.

    > furthermore, what i said isn't a prediction. adobe has said they're
    > working on mobile apps that will work with the cloud.

    I gusee every effort works. So does cold fusion.

    > you're talking out your ass, again.

    You mean through your mouth? Never.

    >> As I said earlier, trying to turn a product
    >> into a service is still an experiment.

    > it's not an experiment at all. plenty of companies have been doing it
    > for many years.
    >
    > the only 'experiment' was creative cloud over the past year. adobe was
    > satisfied with the results (and it exceeded their expectations), so for
    > all intents, the 'experiment' already happened and was a success.
    >
    >> nospam has problems distinguishing products from services.

    > nonsense. i know the difference quite well, much more than you do from
    > what i can tell.

    Your postings don't illustrate your alleged knowledge.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 28, 2013
  11. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > >> Don't bet he ranch on his predictions. He/she is technically correct.
    > >> Under the right conditions, MS Paint is compatible with Photoshop, as
    > >> are lots of other programs.

    > > nonsense. about the only 'compatibility' is both can open jpegs.

    > And the others? The one's that will open 8bit tiff files, while
    > maintaining layers?

    what others? you mean apps?

    > You odn't seem to understand what "under the right conditions," means.

    it's weasel-speak for "i make up the conditions so that my claims are
    true, no matter how contrived and unrealistic those conditions might
    be."

    nospam, Jun 29, 2013
  12. Mayayana

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/29/2013 12:37 AM, nospam wrote:

    >>> nonsense. about the only 'compatibility' is both can open jpegs.

    >> And the others? The one's that will open 8bit tiff files, while
    >> maintaining layers?

    > what others? you mean apps?

    Amazing, even when I agree with something you say, you argue, because I
    clarify.

    >> You odn't seem to understand what "under the right conditions," means.

    > it's weasel-speak for "i make up the conditions so that my claims are
    > true, no matter how contrived and unrealistic those conditions might
    > be."

    Fortunately, I was granted enough ability to think and come to rational
    conclusions, that I don't have to resort to your tactics.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 29, 2013
  13. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > >> And the others? The one's that will open 8bit tiff files, while
    > >> maintaining layers?

    > > what others? you mean apps?

    > Amazing, even when I agree with something you say, you argue, because I
    > clarify.

    you're confused.

    you said ms paint is compatible with photoshop. since when does ms
    paint open psd files? it does not, so therefore it is only compatible
    in the most simplistic way. to say it's compatible is misleading
    people.

    > >> You odn't seem to understand what "under the right conditions," means.

    > > it's weasel-speak for "i make up the conditions so that my claims are
    > > true, no matter how contrived and unrealistic those conditions might
    > > be."

    > Fortunately, I was granted enough ability to think and come to rational
    > conclusions, that I don't have to resort to your tactics.

    apparently whatever ability you might have is very limited. you
    definitely aren't thinking at all.

    what you meant to say was you were granted the ability to lie and twist.

    nospam, Jun 29, 2013
  14. Mayayana

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/29/2013 1:41 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> what others? you mean apps?

    >> Amazing, even when I agree with something you say, you argue, because I
    >> clarify.

    > you're confused.
    >
    > you said ms paint is compatible with photoshop. since when does ms
    > paint open psd files? it does not, so therefore it is only compatible
    > in the most simplistic way. to say it's compatible is misleading
    > people.

    >>> it's weasel-speak for "i make up the conditions so that my claims are
    >>> true, no matter how contrived and unrealistic those conditions might
    >>> be."

    >> Fortunately, I was granted enough ability to think and come to rational
    >> conclusions, that I don't have to resort to your tactics.

    > apparently whatever ability you might have is very limited. you
    > definitely aren't thinking at all.
    >
    > what you meant to say was you were granted the ability to lie and twist.

    OK I will resort to language that even you can understand. Your postings
    are those of an insecure asshole, with some emotional problems. GEt help
    fast.

    Is that clear?

    Bye EOD

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 29, 2013
  15. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > >> Amazing, even when I agree with something you say, you argue, because I
    > >> clarify.

    > > you're confused.
    > >
    > > you said ms paint is compatible with photoshop. since when does ms
    > > paint open psd files? it does not, so therefore it is only compatible
    > > in the most simplistic way. to say it's compatible is misleading
    > > people.

    > >> Fortunately, I was granted enough ability to think and come to rational
    > >> conclusions, that I don't have to resort to your tactics.

    > > apparently whatever ability you might have is very limited. you
    > > definitely aren't thinking at all.
    > >
    > > what you meant to say was you were granted the ability to lie and twist.
    > >

    > OK I will resort to language that even you can understand. Your postings
    > are those of an insecure asshole, with some emotional problems. GEt help
    > fast.

    quite the opposite. you keep changing your story with every post.

    > Is that clear?

    nothing you say is clear because your posts contradict one another.

    nospam, Jun 30, 2013