    RGB colour space as well?

    Adobe RGB has a greater colour space, so why not shoot in Adobe RGB and if
    need be, convert in post production?

    Russell, Jun 20, 2005

  2. You are assuming here one isn't shooting RAW. For ACR I work in the
    ProPhoto space with 16 bit channels.

    The space you set in the camera has no affect on the Raw file.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Jun 20, 2005
  3. Russell

    Hecate Guest

    Whilst he makes some interesting points for people shooting in RAW, as
    he would admit because it's 16 bit, you should stick with AdobeRGB if
    possible. What he skates over in his comparison of colour space is
    that AdobeRGB maps more closely to the CYMK colour space than does
    sRGB. He may be able to find specific examples where a particular
    printer colour profile negates this benefit, but that doesn't make his
    assertion accurate over all.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One

    Hecate, Jun 21, 2005
  4. Russell

    Stacey Guest

    If the output device doesn't support it, there is no good reason to do this.
    If it does, then there is.
    Because sometimes weird things can happen in the conversion. Been there done
    that one. Best way is shoot RAW and then you can use whichever colorspace
    fits the output.

    Stacey, Jun 21, 2005
  5. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Hello John

    Thank you for your post. I didn't understand that the space set on the
    camera has no effect with RAW images. In which case, your suggestion of
    ProPhoto space with 16 bit channels sounds logical.

    Russell, Jun 21, 2005
  6. Russell

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    If you're going to the trouble of putting Adobe RGB into your workflow,
    thus choking off a huge range of available software, why not go all the way
    and use a well-designed colorspace like ProPhoto RGB?

    Bill Tuthill, Jun 21, 2005
  7. I suggest you get a copy of _Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2:
    Industrial-Strength Production Techniques_ by Bruce Fraser.

    It has a great section on Color space. If you want more about Color
    space in the complete work flow see:

    _Real World Color Management: Industrial-Strength Production
    Techniques_ by Bruce Fraser, Chris Murphy, Fred Bunting

    "Anarchism is both a religious faith and a rational philosophy;
    and many of its anomalies are the product of the clash between
    the two, and of the tensions between the different kinds of
    temperament which they represent."

    _The Anarchists_
    James Joll - 1964

    John A. Stovall, Jun 22, 2005
  8. Russell

    Russell Guest

    I will look into the books. Is seems Bruce Fraser is a very knowledgeable
    guy on this subject.

    Russell, Jun 22, 2005
  9. Russell

    Celcius Guest

    Reading Scott Kelby, the first thing he suggests is replacing sRGB by Adobe
    RGB 98.
    Most photographer, I thought would shy away from sRGB.
    When I bought my Canon XT, I asked about that choice and was told if you use
    Adobe Photoshop, it's better to choose Adobe RGB.
    Why introduce ProPhoto RGB?
    Could you please enlighten me?

    Celcius, Sep 10, 2005
  10. Larger Color Gamut is why.

    Go read: Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2: Industrial-Strength
    Production Techniques by Bruce Fraser

    And:

    John A. Stovall, Sep 10, 2005
  11. I've not read the other one you suggested, but I've read this one, and agree
    it is a very good read. I find there are too many authors that tackle this
    this topic who don't have a grasp of it themselves, thus, perpetuating a
    whole lot of myths and misconceptions. A frew books I've read simply provide
    contradictory information it seems. Without a lot of personal trial and
    error it is almost impossible to figure out which authors know what they are
    talking about and which onese don't get it.

    Take care,
    Linda

    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 10, 2005
  12. Those two books are what I consider required reading for any one
    wanting to do quality digital prints.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Sep 11, 2005
  13. Russell

    Hecate Guest

    The RAW book is only required reading if you have digital files i.e.
    from a camera.

    But the colour management book is excellent.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One

    Hecate, Sep 11, 2005
  14. Thanks John and Hecate. I'll invest in the first one too. It can't hurt to
    get more info, there's plenty to go around. I still prefer book reading over
    sitting at a computer reading from the Web (or e-book etc...). I think that
    will never change especially in the Winter when I can sit near the warmth of
    the fire while reading. My computer would melt!

    Take care,
    linda

    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 11, 2005
  15. True, I was responding in the rec.photo.digital and didn't thank all
    the graphic artist who work from other image sources.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Sep 11, 2005
  16. "John A. Stovall" wrote
    Oops, I just realized that I was replying to you in an earlier post and it
    is addressed to go to both groups. I didn't think to check.

    Many Graphics Artists use photos these a days, so I am sure many will be
    glad you posted your opinion of both books :)

    Take care,
    Linda

    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 11, 2005
  17. Russell

    DD Guest

    and here... where winter temperatures sometimes is
    as high as 28° Celsius?
    That could be the reason why I love reading in HTML;
    at least this is where the ceiling fan are:)

    Dave

    DD, Sep 11, 2005
  18. Russell

    Celcius Guest

    Thanks John for your consideration and empathy. Perhaps you could have been
    more "civil" in your response: "Go read...".
    You see, I've been into photography quite a while now and I'm sorry to say I
    hadn't heard of ProPhoto RGB. Next time, pass me out. I don't need this sort
    of help ;-(
    Marcel

    Celcius, Sep 11, 2005
  19. Go read is the best advice one can give those that don't know.

    I see you don't want to learn but just told.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Sep 11, 2005