Adobe DNG, Ricoh GR Digital and Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve Hodgson, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. I have been searching around to try and understand the limitations with
    Adobe DNG and OS X. It's a bit of a struggle so I'd welcome any
    pointers.

    I was trying out a potential first digital camera (Ricoh GR Digital)
    and found that my trial photos created as RAW were not recognised in
    Preview, iPhoto or Aperture. Interestingly File Juicer was able to
    extract a 10MB tiff file from within the DNG file. Lightroom will
    handle these files but I much prefer Aperture.

    Is there a real limit with regard to OS X capabilities to handle DNG raw files?

    The only thing I found with my searches is that John Gruber (of Daring
    Fireball) uses a GR Digital but of course may only use jpegs.
    --
    Cheers,

    Steve

    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

    Steve Hodgson, Aug 10, 2007

  2. Steve Hodgson

    babaloo Guest

    Two things:
    I never understood why someone would buy one of those Ricohs. To each his
    own.
    It isn't OSX per se.
    Why would an Apple software product, Aperture, support the proprietary
    format (DNG) of a competitor, Adobe?
    Ditch Aperture and get a real program, like Photoshop.
    While you're at it, ditch the Ricoh and get a real camera.

    babaloo, Aug 12, 2007

  3. Steve Hodgson

    Hoshisato Guest

    On Aug 12, 1:26 am, "babaloo" <> wrote:
    <snip>
    > It isn't OSX per se.
    > Why would an Apple software product, Aperture, support the proprietary
    > format (DNG) of a competitor, Adobe?

    <snip>

    DNG is proposed as a standard for RAW files and therefore it would
    make sense to implement it especially since some cameras already save
    their RAW data in DNG format instead of some camera specific format.
    However, Apple is not alone, Microsoft cannot handle DNG files also
    (at least on XP, maybe they picked it up on Vista) while they have
    added support for displaying Nikon and Canon RAW formats from the file
    browser.

    Hoshisato, Aug 12, 2007
  4. On 2007-08-12 01:26:02 +0100, "babaloo" <> said:

    > Two things:
    > I never understood why someone would buy one of those Ricohs. To each his
    > own.
    > It isn't OSX per se.
    > Why would an Apple software product, Aperture, support the proprietary
    > format (DNG) of a competitor, Adobe?
    > Ditch Aperture and get a real program, like Photoshop.
    > While you're at it, ditch the Ricoh and get a real camera.

    Okay, so it is possible but it does need a hack.

    The Raw.plist file at
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Raw.plist
    needs to be edited to add a new entry with key <key>RICOH-GR
    Digital</key>.

    After that DNG files can be imported and do have appreciably better
    quality than the high quality JPEG.

    I actually tried Lightroom again while trying to read these files and I
    *really* don't like it. All through the beta program I didn't get it
    and I still find 1.1 a mess. Still as you say - each to his own.

    I realise the Ricoh isn't for everyone as it is a very quirky camera
    but I like the film-like properties, build quality, size, fixed lens.
    As a first foray into digital from film rangefinders when I can't get a
    D200 or similar yet it seemed like the ideal choice.

    Steve Hodgson, Aug 12, 2007
  5. Steve Hodgson

    fabulousfab

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello Steve,

    I own a Ricoh GRD and find it a very usefull camera.
    I'd like to invest in a new Mac + Aperture (I own an old ibook), in order to exploit my DNG files.
    Your kack seems very interesting.
    I understand that with this hack, Os X can recognize DNG files.
    But what happens with Aperture ?
    Thanks for your help,
    Fabrice
    (Sorry, my english is very bad... I'm a poor lonesome frenchy !)

    fabulousfab, Aug 14, 2007