Adobe and America go from an ownership to a rental economy

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 8, 2013.

  1. RichA

    android Guest

    In article <CDB5181A.9B7B8%>,
    George Kerby <> wrote:

    > On 5/12/13 6:49 AM, in article , "android"
    > <> wrote:

    > >> And where is the Macbook tablet? My Thinkpad tablet is so old that it
    > >> had XP on it when I got it. But Apple has never put a penabled screen
    > >> on a Macbook.

    > > http://www.modbook.com/

    > Sure they are selling like free hotcakes! LOL!
    >
    > And Tony C thought Macs were expensive...

    They, ain't expensive if they pay for your meals...
    --
    teleportation kills

    android, May 12, 2013

  2. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, android <>
    wrote:

    > > > And where is the Macbook tablet?

    > > ipad.
    > >
    > > > My Thinkpad tablet is so old that it
    > > > had XP on it when I got it. But Apple has never put a penabled screen
    > > > on a Macbook.

    > > because that would be stupid. mac os is designed for mouse/keyboard,
    > > not a stylus and certainly not touch.
    > >
    > > there were windows tablets with styluses but they never sold
    > > particularly well. it's a bad idea.
    > >
    > > the ipad was designed for touch from the ground up, not something that
    > > was added to the existing mac os. that's why it's so successful, far
    > > more than any previous tablet had been.

    > Try to load some proper software on them pads for pro work on the go!

    nearly 1 million apps from which to choose, many of which can be used
    for 'pro work' whatever that means.

    > With a proper os on a pad you can do that, and ad keyboard/mouse.

    ios is a 'proper os'. there's nothing improper about it and for tasks
    that require a lot of typing, use a bluetooth keyboard. a mouse makes
    no sense on a touch device. your finger *is* the mouse.

    meanwhile, the windows tablets that ran what you call a 'proper os',
    failed in the marketplace.

    nospam, May 12, 2013

  3. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <CDB51792.9B7B7%>, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    > > And where is the Macbook tablet? My Thinkpad tablet is so old that it
    > > had XP on it when I got it. But Apple has never put a penabled screen
    > > on a Macbook.

    > It didn't work for PC, why should Apple try such nonsense? Particularly when
    > they have such a commanding success with the iPad line?

    exactly.

    nospam, May 12, 2013
  4. RichA

    android Guest

    In article <120520131113254097%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > > > ipad.

    > > > because that would be stupid. mac os is designed for mouse/keyboard,
    > > > not a stylus and certainly not touch.
    > > >
    > > > there were windows tablets with styluses but they never sold
    > > > particularly well. it's a bad idea.
    > > >
    > > > the ipad was designed for touch from the ground up, not something that
    > > > was added to the existing mac os. that's why it's so successful, far
    > > > more than any previous tablet had been.

    > > Try to load some proper software on them pads for pro work on the go!

    > nearly 1 million apps from which to choose, many of which can be used
    > for 'pro work' whatever that means.
    >
    > > With a proper os on a pad you can do that, and ad keyboard/mouse.

    > ios is a 'proper os'. there's nothing improper about it and for tasks
    > that require a lot of typing, use a bluetooth keyboard. a mouse makes
    > no sense on a touch device. your finger *is* the mouse.
    >
    > meanwhile, the windows tablets that ran what you call a 'proper os',
    > failed in the marketplace.

    I'm typing on a Mac right now, as you see in the headers. I don't think
    that Indesign or Photoshop loads well on pads, in their full versions.
    --
    teleportation kills

    android, May 12, 2013
  5. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, android <>
    wrote:

    > > > With a proper os on a pad you can do that, and ad keyboard/mouse.

    > > ios is a 'proper os'. there's nothing improper about it and for tasks
    > > that require a lot of typing, use a bluetooth keyboard. a mouse makes
    > > no sense on a touch device. your finger *is* the mouse.
    > >
    > > meanwhile, the windows tablets that ran what you call a 'proper os',
    > > failed in the marketplace.

    > I'm typing on a Mac right now, as you see in the headers. I don't think
    > that Indesign or Photoshop loads well on pads, in their full versions.

    so what? those aren't the only two programs in the world and certainly
    not what defines 'pro'.

    anyway, photoshop touch runs on the ipad. also, iphoto on the ipad is
    more capable than iphoto on the mac. there are hundreds of other photo
    manipulation apps.

    there are apps to work with microsoft office files and microsoft is
    working on office for the ipad.

    there are also a lot of apps that only exist on an ipad and do not
    exist on a mac/pc.

    pick the best tool for the job.

    nospam, May 12, 2013
  6. RichA

    android Guest

    In article <120520131131007416%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > anyway, photoshop touch runs on the ipad. also, iphoto on the ipad is
    > more capable than iphoto on the mac. there are hundreds of other photo
    > manipulation apps.

    PS touch won't handle more than 12 mp or so...
    --
    teleportation kills

    android, May 12, 2013
  7. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/12/2013 11:31 AM, nospam wrote:

    > pick the best tool for the job.

    Yup!
    Last November I was looking for a new lightweight computer.
    At the Apple store they advised me that their was no Apple product that
    would meet my needs.
    I wound up with my Lenovo.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 12, 2013
  8. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > > > Well, I'm not sure that "do a lot more" is necessarily true. All
    > > > laptops, essentially, do the same thing. The OS may allow one to do
    > > > something better, the screen may present a clearer image, the
    > > > mechanical components may be of better quality...but they basically
    > > > all do the same thing. There are some things, like a built-in video
    > > > camera, that are not present in all laptops, but that's about it for
    > > > "do".

    > > And where is the Macbook tablet? My Thinkpad tablet is so old that it
    > > had XP on it when I got it. But Apple has never put a penabled screen
    > > on a Macbook.

    > http://www.modbook.com/

    Which is not made by Apple.

    J. Clarke, May 12, 2013
  9. RichA

    android Guest

    In article <>,
    "J. Clarke" <> wrote:

    > In article <>, says...

    > > > And where is the Macbook tablet? My Thinkpad tablet is so old that it
    > > > had XP on it when I got it. But Apple has never put a penabled screen
    > > > on a Macbook.

    > > http://www.modbook.com/

    > Which is not made by Apple.

    Nooo... It''s a third party modification of an Apple product...
    --
    teleportation kills

    android, May 12, 2013
  10. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, android <>
    wrote:

    > > anyway, photoshop touch runs on the ipad. also, iphoto on the ipad is
    > > more capable than iphoto on the mac. there are hundreds of other photo
    > > manipulation apps.

    > PS touch won't handle more than 12 mp or so...

    so what?

    nospam, May 12, 2013
  11. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <CDB51792.9B7B7%>,
    says...

    > On 5/12/13 5:02 AM, in article ,
    > "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, tonycooper214
    > > @gmail.com says...

    > >> We are getting to the point here where I can't believe that you are
    > >> serious about what you say. You are denying, apparently, that Apple
    > >> isn't making the decision to offer laptops that are priced higher -but
    > >> offer more features- than many PC laptops. If the manufacturer of the
    > >> product does not make the decision of what to offer, who does?

    > >> Do you deny, though, that many PCs are priced lower than the minimum
    > >> offerings by Mac? The question isn't about "why", but about whether
    > >> or not the statement is true. You are arguing a point not made.

    > >> No, it's not misleading at all. It's absolutely and obviously true
    > >> and misleads no one.

    > >> Well, I'm not sure that "do a lot more" is necessarily true. All
    > >> laptops, essentially, do the same thing. The OS may allow one to do
    > >> something better, the screen may present a clearer image, the
    > >> mechanical components may be of better quality...but they basically
    > >> all do the same thing. There are some things, like a built-in video
    > >> camera, that are not present in all laptops, but that's about it for
    > >> "do".

    > > And where is the Macbook tablet? My Thinkpad tablet is so old that it
    > > had XP on it when I got it. But Apple has never put a penabled screen
    > > on a Macbook.
    > >

    > It didn't work for PC,

    That's odd, the one in my lap at the moment is working fine. In what
    sense did "it" "not work"? Lenovo just brought out another generation
    of such machines. So did Fujitsu. They all seem to work fine.

    > why should Apple try such nonsense?

    And that in a nutshell is the problem with Apple fans. The only
    "features" that count are the ones that Apple includes, and features
    that are more difficult to provide but are not available from Apple are
    dismissed as "nonsense".

    > Particularly when
    > they have such a commanding success with the iPad line?

    My Thinkpad was working fine four years before the first ipad shipped.
    It is the second generation of the Thinkpad to have that feature.

    J. Clarke, May 12, 2013
  12. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, J. Clarke
    <> wrote:

    > > > And where is the Macbook tablet? My Thinkpad tablet is so old that it
    > > > had XP on it when I got it. But Apple has never put a penabled screen
    > > > on a Macbook.

    > > It didn't work for PC,

    > That's odd, the one in my lap at the moment is working fine. In what
    > sense did "it" "not work"? Lenovo just brought out another generation
    > of such machines. So did Fujitsu. They all seem to work fine.

    it didn't work in the marketplace.

    pc tablets were a market failure.

    <http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2010/01/24/word_is_a
    pples_getting_ready_to_launch_its_first_tablet_computer/>
    IDC found that only 121,000 ³pure¹¹ tablet-based machines were sold
    last year, along with about a million hybrids, which combine a
    touchscreen and a keyboard. That¹s a fraction of the 165 million
    standard laptop computers sold during the same period.

    > > why should Apple try such nonsense?

    > And that in a nutshell is the problem with Apple fans. The only
    > "features" that count are the ones that Apple includes, and features
    > that are more difficult to provide but are not available from Apple are
    > dismissed as "nonsense".

    it has nothing to do with apple fans.

    apple makes mass market products. why should apple make a product that
    didn't sell particularly well?

    instead, apple created a touch based tablet designed to be used with
    touch and it's hugely successful, so much so that everyone is copying
    it, including microsoft.

    > > Particularly when
    > > they have such a commanding success with the iPad line?

    > My Thinkpad was working fine four years before the first ipad shipped.
    > It is the second generation of the Thinkpad to have that feature.

    so what?

    not enough people bought it. it's a niche product.

    nospam, May 12, 2013
  13. RichA

    notbob Guest

    On 2013-05-12, android <> wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <> wrote:

    >> In article <>, says...

    >> > http://www.modbook.com/

    >> Which is not made by Apple.

    > Nooo... It''s a third party modification of an Apple product...

    .....and it's a damn sight far away from being affordable!

    <http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Modbook-Pro-23GHZ-Core-i5-120GB-SSD-4GB-RAM-p-25898.html>

    I'll jes buy a used intuos 3 fer $150 and run it on my linux desktop,
    thank you very much.

    nb

    notbob, May 12, 2013
  14. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> Of course it's because it's a Mac. Who do you think decides what
    > >> features/specs a model will have?

    > >no, not because it's a mac.

    > We are getting to the point here where I can't believe that you are
    > serious about what you say. You are denying, apparently, that Apple
    > isn't making the decision to offer laptops that are priced higher -but
    > offer more features- than many PC laptops. If the manufacturer of the
    > product does not make the decision of what to offer, who does?

    obviously apple decides what features to put apple products, just as
    lenovo, acer, sony, etc. decide what features to put in their products.

    you're making my point, that it's *specs* that determines price.

    when the specs are similar, the prices are similar. when the specs are
    different, the prices are different.

    this is so obvious that i don't understand why you keep arguing against
    it.

    it's not like designer clothes where the product is basically the same
    and you're paying for the label, or like house-brand items versus
    nationally advertised items in the grocery store, where it *is* the
    same product, but with a different price.

    > >the price is higher because it has better specs, just as a similar spec
    > >lenovo or acer or sony would be priced higher than the 'many pcs'
    > >you're talking about.

    > Do you deny, though, that many PCs are priced lower than the minimum
    > offerings by Mac?

    only because those pcs have lower specs.

    it's not because one is a pc and the other is a mac.

    > The question isn't about "why", but about whether
    > or not the statement is true. You are arguing a point not made.

    it furthers a myth.

    > >> Certainly. But that's not what was said. The statement "The lowest
    > >> priced Mac is higher in price than many PCs" is patently obvious and
    > >> true.

    > >it's a misleading statement and you aren't going to get away with 'but
    > >it's true' excuse.

    > No, it's not misleading at all. It's absolutely and obviously true
    > and misleads no one.

    saying macs cost more *is* misleading. they do not cost more.

    you are intentionally picking *different* specs to try to prove it.

    the least expensive car costs more than many bicycles. that is
    absolutely and obviously true too. it's also not a particularly useful
    bit of information.

    it's like saying flying on delta costs more than on american airlines,
    but then when you look at the price of the ticket, you see that one
    ticket is an unrestricted refundable first class while the other is in
    the lowest economy fare bucket, non-refundable and with a saturday
    stayover. saying delta costs more might be true, but only because it's
    an f/c ticket versus restricted economy, not because it's delta.

    > >the lowest price mac also does a whole lot more than many pcs, which is
    > >why it costs more. that's *also* patently obvious and true.

    > Well, I'm not sure that "do a lot more" is necessarily true.

    it is true.

    > All laptops, essentially, do the same thing.

    that explains why you don't get it.

    > The OS may allow one to do
    > something better, the screen may present a clearer image, the
    > mechanical components may be of better quality...but they basically
    > all do the same thing. There are some things, like a built-in video
    > camera, that are not present in all laptops, but that's about it for
    > "do".

    no that's not about it, and all those cost money anyway, which is why
    one costs more than another.

    sometimes certain hardware is required for a particular app, such as a
    gpu or a certain amount of memory or a certain size display. if you
    don't have a machine that meets the necessary specs, the app won't
    work, which means one laptop *will* do more than another.

    faster processors means you get more work done in less time. that might
    not matter for email but it *will* matter for things like video
    encoding. nobody wants to wait overnight or even longer to process a
    single video file.

    > >> And what, pray tell, do you think determines price tiers? And who
    > >> determines what they will offer?

    > >features do, not the logo on the box.

    > Bizarre. Who determines what the features will be if not the people
    > in the company whose logo it is? Features don't make any decisions.
    > They are the result of decisions.

    what's bizarre?

    if two different companies make the same decisions about what specs to
    include and make two products that are very similar if not the same,
    the products will cost about the same.

    computers are not like designer clothing where you *do* pay for the
    logo.

    nospam, May 12, 2013
  15. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, notbob
    <> wrote:

    > >> Which is not made by Apple.

    > > Nooo... It''s a third party modification of an Apple product...

    > ....and it's a damn sight far away from being affordable!

    that's mainly because they buy a macbook at retail and then modify it.
    it will *always* cost more than a stock macbook.

    it's also because it's a low volume niche product. they don't sell very
    many.

    > I'll jes buy a used intuos 3 fer $150 and run it on my linux desktop,
    > thank you very much.

    how well does your desktop fold up and fit into a briefcase?

    nospam, May 12, 2013
  16. RichA

    notbob Guest

    On 2013-05-12, nospam <> wrote:

    > how well does your desktop fold up and fit into a briefcase?

    About as well as the larger modbook. Besides, I don't do digital
    graphics while riding my bicycle or whatever a tablet is supposed to
    provide me.

    nb

    notbob, May 12, 2013
  17. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, notbob
    <> wrote:

    > > how well does your desktop fold up and fit into a briefcase?

    > About as well as the larger modbook.

    your desktop is an inch thick and weighs 5 pounds?

    > Besides, I don't do digital
    > graphics while riding my bicycle or whatever a tablet is supposed to
    > provide me.

    that's good. the last thing anyone needs is someone causing a crash.

    nospam, May 12, 2013
  18. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 12 May 2013 13:31:07 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >the lowest price mac also does a whole lot more than many pcs, which is
    >> >why it costs more. that's *also* patently obvious and true.

    >> Well, I'm not sure that "do a lot more" is necessarily true.

    >it is true.
    >
    >> All laptops, essentially, do the same thing.

    >that explains why you don't get it.
    >
    >> The OS may allow one to do
    >> something better, the screen may present a clearer image, the
    >> mechanical components may be of better quality...but they basically
    >> all do the same thing. There are some things, like a built-in video
    >> camera, that are not present in all laptops, but that's about it for
    >> "do".

    >no that's not about it, and all those cost money anyway, which is why
    >one costs more than another.
    >
    >sometimes certain hardware is required for a particular app, such as a
    >gpu or a certain amount of memory or a certain size display. if you
    >don't have a machine that meets the necessary specs, the app won't
    >work, which means one laptop *will* do more than another.

    All laptops do basically the same thing until you alter them in such a
    way that they are unable to do something. Adding an app that requires
    more memory than the laptop came with is altering the requirements for
    the laptop.

    You are the one that came up with automobile comparisons (so much for
    "this discussion is about..."). If you buy an automobile without a
    towing package, and then decide that you need to pull a heavy trailer,
    you have altered the requirements. You have to add components or buy
    a different vehicle just as you have to add memory or buy a different
    laptop if you try to add an app that won't work with the device as
    purchased.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 12, 2013
  19. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> The OS may allow one to do
    > >> something better, the screen may present a clearer image, the
    > >> mechanical components may be of better quality...but they basically
    > >> all do the same thing. There are some things, like a built-in video
    > >> camera, that are not present in all laptops, but that's about it for
    > >> "do".

    > >no that's not about it, and all those cost money anyway, which is why
    > >one costs more than another.
    > >
    > >sometimes certain hardware is required for a particular app, such as a
    > >gpu or a certain amount of memory or a certain size display. if you
    > >don't have a machine that meets the necessary specs, the app won't
    > >work, which means one laptop *will* do more than another.

    > All laptops do basically the same thing until you alter them in such a
    > way that they are unable to do something. Adding an app that requires
    > more memory than the laptop came with is altering the requirements for
    > the laptop.

    no need to alter them. some laptops do more than others. that you don't
    understand this basic fact explains a lot.

    > You are the one that came up with automobile comparisons (so much for
    > "this discussion is about..."). If you buy an automobile without a
    > towing package, and then decide that you need to pull a heavy trailer,
    > you have altered the requirements. You have to add components or buy
    > a different vehicle just as you have to add memory or buy a different
    > laptop if you try to add an app that won't work with the device as
    > purchased.

    in other words, not all cars do the same thing. some are capable of
    towing and others are not.

    nospam, May 12, 2013
  20. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/12/2013 1:31 PM, nospam wrote:

> [...]

    > stayover. saying delta costs more might be true, but only because it's
    > an f/c ticket versus restricted economy, not because it's delta.
    >
    >>> the lowest price mac also does a whole lot more than many pcs, which is
    >>> why it costs more. that's *also* patently obvious and true.

    >> Well, I'm not sure that "do a lot more" is necessarily true.

    > it is true.
    >
    >> All laptops, essentially, do the same thing.

    > that explains why you don't get it.
    >
    >> The OS may allow one to do
    >> something better, the screen may present a clearer image, the
    >> mechanical components may be of better quality...but they basically
    >> all do the same thing. There are some things, like a built-in video
    >> camera, that are not present in all laptops, but that's about it for
    >> "do".

    > no that's not about it, and all those cost money anyway, which is why

    Here are the specs for my Lenovo laptop. Tell us the cost of an
    equivalent Mac.
    14" screen
    quad IV processor
    500 gig HD
    16 gig SSD
    8hr battery
    built in card reader
    3 USB ports
    WiFi card
    Blutooth capable.
    3 year onsite service.

    I included only the essential features, for me. All else is fluff.

    my cost was about $1,200
    Tell us what an equivalent Mac notebook would cost.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 13, 2013