Adjust the Shutterspeed in Canon Powershot A300 - HOW?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kanolsen, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Kanolsen

    Kanolsen Guest

    I have a problem with my Canon Powershot A300.
    The shutter is slow, so whenever I'm trying to take a picture of my
    armwaving son, the picture gets blurry.
    HOW DO I ADJUST THE SHUTTERSPEED MANUALLY?

    I have called Canon customerservice without help, I have called Canon
    but they claimed that one cannot adjust the shutter speed in the A300
    - however I do not think they know how, since the manual doesn't
    mention anything about the shutter.

    I "know" it is possible somehow since in the powershot homepage they
    mention different shutterspeed. (see below).
    Unfortunately I do not know what modes they are talking about - don't
    even know what a mode is in fact.
    Furthermore, in another review of the product, they say that it is
    ideal for taking pictures of "fast-moving objects", so clearly it must
    be possible to adjust it, so I can take a clear photo of my son who
    are always in motion (aka fast-moving object)

    This review is also covering the max/min shutter, indicating very
    clearly that it is possible to change it. HOW?
    To summarise the questions I need answers to:
    1. How do I adjust the shutterspeed from 1sec to 1/2000sec? I do need
    detailed help in doing it since it is not mentioned anywhere?
    2. What are the modes they are talking about in the powershot
    homepage?

    I really hope I can get some answers about the A300, since it is a
    very good camera which I am very satisfied with - exept for the
    shutter. Almost all of the pictures of my son is blurred in some way.
    I do not think Canon has set the shutterspeed so slow that the object
    have to be completely still to make a good photo. It is probably meant
    to be a camera for families and such, and they take mostly pictures of
    people (and especially kids, who don't stand still).

    Thanks for your time and help!
    Best regards
    Kanolsen

    Kanolsen, Sep 10, 2003

  2. Kanolsen

    Dreamer Guest

    In the computer support biz there is an expression: "RTFM."

    It stands for "Read the fine manual." :)

    I did so - it's on the Canon website. According to the manual, you cannot
    set shutter speed manually, because there is no menu selection which allows
    you to do so. The manual controls of this camera are extremely limited, in
    fact. The "modes" are basically full-auto, "manual" and movie. Here's what
    you can set in the manual mode:

    Exposure Compensation - +/- 2
    White Balance - Auto, Day Light, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent 1 & 2 and
    Custom
    ISO - Auto, 50, 100, 200, 400
    Color Effect - Off, Vivid, Neutral, Low Sharpening, Sepia and B&W
    Quality - Superfine, Fine and Normal
    Image Size - "L" arge (2048x1536), M1 (1600x1200), M2 (1024x768) and "S"
    mall (640x480).

    The camera's shutter speed may in fact range from 1/2000 to 1 sec, but the
    camera gets to pick, not you. The most you can do is jack up the ISO and
    hope that makes the camera select a faster shutter speed. Wish I could help,
    but you're looking at a fundamental limitation of the camera.

    Dreamer, Sep 10, 2003

  3. Kanolsen

    Kanolsen Guest

    Thanx for all help. One last question.
    Since it is automatic, how do I get the fastest shutterspeed?
    The things I can adjust are:
    Iso auto, 50-400
    exposure -2 - +2
    whitebalance sunny, shade, indoor, and a couple others
    flash.

    Thank you for all your help.
    Kanolsen

    Kanolsen, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Kanolsen

    Dreamer Guest

    Increasing ISO to the maxiumum should, all other things being equal, result
    in the camera selecting either a smaller aperture (don't forget, as the
    aperture number goes up, the aperture gets smaller: it's very aggravating
    for those new to photography but that's the deal) or a faster shutter speed.
    This is probably your best bet.
    Depending on how the camera implements EV compensation increasing your EV to
    +2 might, conceivably, get you a faster shutter speed, but I don't know
    about this one.
    White balance settings should not affect shutter speed or aperture.
    Flash on override (flash *always* fires*) should get you a faster shutter
    speed in many situations.
    You are welcome.

    Dreamer, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Kanolsen

    bj286 Guest

    Decreasing it to -2 might set faster shutter speed.

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/

    bj286, Sep 15, 2003
  6. Kanolsen

    bj286 Guest

    Wrong. 1/2000s helps freezing moving objects, but f/5.6 makes 1/2000s
    difficult to get. So try wide angle, which has aperture larger than
    f/5.6.
    For moving kids you need a camera for sports. A camera for family
    expects everybody to show their teeth and hold their pose for a while.

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/

    bj286, Sep 15, 2003
  7. While making the picture darker.

    Andrew McDonald, Sep 15, 2003