    One XP PC is on 192.168.1.10 - presumably this address came from the
    router ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 29, 2005

  2. Gone back to 'obtain an IP address automatically' on the 98 PC and can now
    access the internet and the router.

    Double clicking on the Neighbourhood network icon just produces a waving
    torch however.

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005

  3. get 'windows cannot find ipconfig/all'

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005
  4. Yes got it working now...192.168.1.10

    Don't know how to find if it came from the router?

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005
  5. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181501

    Enabled master browser, and now can see Neighborhood Network and access the
    XP PC from the 98 and access the internet and the router, so we're there.

    Many thanks for your help.

    I'm it got set up at some point a year ago, but it never seems to last long
    before it doesn't work again.

    thanks again

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005

  6. The waving torch is back on the 98 PC when I click on Neighborhood Network
    and I can't access the 98 from the XP, so I'm off for a bike ride.

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005
  7. you need to get somebody with a clue in to sort this out.

    In the Run box of Start put 'cmd' then press enter.
    at the black screen prompt type 'ipconfig /all'
    this will show you the IP addresses of machines in XP

    in 98 put winipcfg in the Run box of start and it does similar things.

    the public IP address you quoted is that of the router.

    If you can get the IP address of each machine and ping each from the
    other and the router from them all that is the first step. You do ping
    from the same black screen command line prompt.

    For windows networking make sure each has the same workgroup name IN
    CAPITALS and make sure they all have different machnie names.

    In the run box put \\MACHINENAME to browse the services on another
    machine on the network. Ensure each machine has File & Printer sharing
    enabled on its network connection and has at least one folder being
    shared (otherwise there's nothing to see).

    Good luck

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 29, 2005
  8. look at the router's web interface and it'll show is DHCP clients ie
    PCs it has dished addresses out to.

    the number gives you a clue - if you didn't put it in manually then
    that IP likely came from a router at 192.168.1.1

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 29, 2005