  1. I'm having trouble adding a Windows 98 PC to my wireless network.

    At the moment when I double click Neighbourhood Networking all I get is the
    torch and the egg timer.

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 28, 2005

  2. BTW

    The W98 is sharing the wireless router fine with the XP machines. I just
    can't see them on the network.

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 28, 2005

  3. so it is able to access the internet - so you know TCP/IP is working ?

    does the 98 machine have Microsoft File & Printer sharing enabled /
    bound to the wireless adaptor.

    Doe sit have a password/username that matches one on the XP machines,
    or do the XP machines have "guest" enabled ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 28, 2005

  4. Yes it can use the internet via the wireless router, not sure what you mean
    by TCP/IP

    I don't use a username/password on any PC.

    Will check the file/printer sharing but virtually certain it is enabled.

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005
  5. put 'cmd' in the Run box of Start on the XP machines and then type
    'net user' this will show the list of users. You may not see the
    usernames but they are there.

    this could be part of your problem, as the XP machines may be refusing
    to accept a connection from an unauthorised user.

    http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html may help

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 29, 2005

  6. Haven't read the article yet but when I do that I get the line:

    C:\Documents and settings\Trevor>

    and nothing else.

    I ran the network set up disk on an XP PC yesterday and made the floppy to
    run on the 98 PC. After that the 98 can't even access the internet or the
    router.

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005

  7. Have bnow assigned an IP address manually but can't ping the 98 PC.

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005
  8. that is what you get by typing 'cmd'
    at that prompt you type 'net user'
    what did you imagine you were doing ? setting it up to share the
    internet via the XP machine ? I'm not sure what "I ran the network
    set up disk on an XP PC" means.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 29, 2005
  9. what IP address and subnet mask do you have on the 98 PC and an
    example XP PC ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 29, 2005

  10. I thought I had to do this to add the 98 PC to my network?!

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005

  11. Just the XP PC showing not the 98

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005
  12. Have given it:

    IP 192.168.1.2
    Subnet 255.255.255.0

    The XP PC IP address is showing as 80.229.175.134

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005
  13. let's start at the beginning.

    How many machines, how do they connect to each other, how do they
    connect to the internet.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 29, 2005

  14. 3 PC's 2 are XP 1 is W 98 and a laptop on XP

    All use a Draytek Vigo 2600Gi router

    All can access the internet via the router. All can access each other except
    the 98 .

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005

  15. The 98 PC can now access the router.

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005
  16. that looks to be the external IP address (modem connection ?) what is
    the IP addres sof the LAN adapter (wireless ?) I would expect it to be
    192.168.0.1

    in which case the 98 PC should be given 192.168.0.2 or similar
    (replace 2 with a different number). What about the other XP PC(s) ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 29, 2005

  17. I'm struggling to find out how to find the IP address of the LAN adapter?

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005

  18. Using Belarc Adivser it says Network Ip address of this PC is 192.168.1.10

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005
  19. Vigor with an r. It should have the external IP address and be giving
    out internal IP addresses via DHCP to all PCs on the net. "Obtain an
    IP address automatically" set on each PC should be sufficient.

    no floppies or wizards required, they can only do harm.

    so I don't know why one PC has an external IP address - do you ?

    I see you've been wrestlnig with this for a year
    http://hardware.mcse.ms/message35167.html

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 29, 2005

  20. I just used google to find my IP address and thats what it came up with.

    Trevor Appleton, Jul 29, 2005