    I have a new Sata DVD burner but my system uses ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P
    Can I use it with the old burner or must I replace it with the sata
    and what do I need?

    joevan, Sep 10, 2008

  2. If you have sata ports on your mainboard, you may just need a ide/sata power
    converter cable or a powersupply with sata cables.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 10, 2008

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    It is a foxconn board and I searched for it by ID number and could not
    find any information about it.
    I will search for a picture of sata port on the mainboard or
    connection.

    joevan, Sep 10, 2008
  4. joevan

    Shinta Maru Guest

    If your motherboard has a Sata port, you can use both burners.

    If your motherboard doesn't have a Sata port, you may be able to get a
    cheap PCI Sata card to run the Sata burner. You would need a Sata
    cable to connect the Sata burner to the PCI card - these usually come
    with the card. And also a Sata power cable to connect the Sata burner to
    the PSU. If your motherboard allows using the PCI card, read the
    installation instructions carefully.

    Shinta Maru, Sep 11, 2008
  5. joevan

    joevan Guest

    You assume too much wise ass. Why not go wipe your assumption and
    achieve something important.

    joevan, Sep 11, 2008
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Thanks, that is what I thought. Nice to have it all tidy and clear in
    my head now.

    joevan, Sep 11, 2008
  7. joevan

    joevan Guest

    I have 2 sata hard drives in this machine. They are plugged into
    little blue oval plugs on the motherboard. There are two more plugs
    just beside those just like the ones the hds are plugged into.
    I have not been able to find much about this Foxconn 975X7AB FAB1. on
    the net and have not seen sata connectors like these. Am I missing
    something? I bought this about a year ago from an associate.

    joevan, Sep 11, 2008
  8. joevan

    Shinta Maru Guest

    You can get the motherboard manual here -
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000184
    There are 4 Sata connection points together on the motherboard - they are
    standard rectangular connectors. See the manual for the motherboard
    diagram. Installing the new burner should be straightforward. Follow the burner
    installation instructions, and consult the motherboard manual as
    necessary.

    Any problems?

    Shinta Maru, Sep 11, 2008
  9. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Thanks again. I will down load that manual. I had the wrong glasses on
    at the time and they looked oval, but upon closer examination I
    realized what was going on. You are a gentleman and a scholar and I
    appreciate your help.

    joevan, Sep 11, 2008