Adding NetBios to Win2K and Win 7 ???

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by JD, Aug 12, 2010.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    Hey Experts,

    I am trying to setup a NetBios system on my pair of boxes - Box1
    (Win2K) and NetBook (Win7).

    I visited the 'Local Area Connection 2' in Network and Dialup
    Connections on Box1.
    Opening the 'Local Area Connection 2' and clicking the General tab I
    find 'NWLink NetBios' and select it. Then I click the Install button and
    I get a small window with choices of Client, Service and Protocol.

    Still on Box1 I click Client and see the message "A client provides
    access to computers and files on the network you are connecting to."
    That seemed like the Box1. I click Add and then get the message "Windows
    is unable to find any drivers....." I found the file NetBios.SY_ on
    my original Win2K CD and I guess the .SY_ means it's compressed.
    Clicking or double-clicking did not decompress. I believe I am getting
    rusty ;-)

    Then I clicked Protocol and all that was there was Apple Talk Protocol
    and DLC Protocol.

    For Service all that was available was QoS Packet Scheduler and SAP Agent.

    Can anyone see a solution here?

    TIA

    JD, Aug 12, 2010