    software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but find it
    is still slow.

    thank you

    moi, Jan 25, 2005

  2. moi

    °Mike° Guest

    ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
    in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
    clean your system. Then check for spyware/malware.
    Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
    if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
    Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
    have the latest version of removal tools:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
    Now maintained by InterMute
    http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

    °Mike°, Jan 25, 2005

  3. moi

    moi Guest

    Thanks

    moi, Jan 25, 2005
  4. moi

    moi Guest

    Again thanks

    moi, Jan 25, 2005
  5. moi

    Tony Guest

    Depends on other factors as well such as what OS you are using and the
    efficiency of the motherboard, what software you are using and how efficient
    the software has been written to use memory. XP usually runs better with
    512mb rather than 256mb

    Tony, Jan 25, 2005
  6. moi

    Martik Guest

    Or ignore Mike's good advise and use Linux. Mandrake is a good start. Then
    you can use your computer for other things besides preventing attacks.

    Martik, Jan 25, 2005
  7. moi

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jan 25, 2005
  8. moi

    °Mike° Guest

    YAWWWWWWN!!!

    °Mike°, Jan 25, 2005
  9. moi

    Graham Guest

    512MB is certainly advantagous if you do any work with photos etc larger
    files or graphic intensive programs. You will notice a big increase in
    preformance if you use some of the cleaner adaware progs mentioned already
    also

    Graham, Jan 25, 2005
  10. Yeah, I made my old computer into a big paper weight with Fedora. Of
    course, it was underpowered for the task at hand. It allowed Linux to
    install and I can even get to the desktop. But almost anything else I
    want to do it freezes up and lays there just as dead as any Windows box.
    So, I guess it depends, eh?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 25, 2005
  11. moi

    serge Guest

    Thanks all I have lotsa info now

    serge, Jan 26, 2005
  12. moi

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Martik wrote:
    |

    | >>ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
    | >>in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
    | >>clean your system.

    <snip>

    | > Or ignore Mike's good advise and use Linux. Mandrake is a good start.
    Then
    | > you can use your computer for other things besides preventing attacks.
    |
    | Yeah, I made my old computer into a big paper weight with Fedora. Of
    | course, it was underpowered for the task at hand. It allowed Linux to
    | install and I can even get to the desktop. But almost anything else I
    | want to do it freezes up and lays there just as dead as any Windows box.
    | So, I guess it depends, eh?

    You got THAT right. Truth is, most of the 'full-blown' Linux installs
    require pretty hefty hardware - often as much as Windows needs.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 26, 2005
  13. moi

    Martik Guest

    No performance or install issues with Mandrake on a Athlon 1700 + 256mb ram.
    Maybe you should give it another chance. The Yoper distro is 'lightning
    fast'.

    Martik, Jan 26, 2005
  14. moi

    Ron Martell Guest

    Adding more memory can noticeably improve performance only if the
    added memory results in reduced usage of the virtual memory swap file.
    Therefore if the swap file is not currently being used to any
    significant extent then adding more memory will not provide a
    significant improvement.

    If you are running Windows 98 or Windows Me use the System Monitor
    utility that comes with Windows and use Edit - Add to set it to track
    "Memory manager: Swap file in use" for several days of normal to heavy
    usage. If "Swap file in use" regularly shows as 20 mb or more then
    the swap file is being used extensively and more memory would result
    in improved performance. Otherwise it is not likely to make any
    noticeable difference.

    If you are running Windows XP there is a free utility that you can
    download and run which will provide this information for you. It was
    written by MVP Bill James and you can get if from
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
    http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/

    If that utility shows actual page file usage of 50 mb or more on a
    regular basis then that is indicative of fairly significant paging
    file activity. Adding more RAM will reduce or even eliminate entirely
    this activity thereby improving performance.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jan 27, 2005
  15. you may see some programs increase in starting up times but the most will be
    visible when having multiple programs open and system stability.

    robert andrews, Jan 28, 2005