Adding IPTC data to images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alfred Molon, Jul 22, 2007.

  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Is there a command line utility which will add IPTC data to JPEG images,
    without recompressing them?

    I tried Imagemagick with the following command, but I'm not sure if this
    works:

    convert picture.jpg +profile 8BIM +comment -profile 8BIMTEXT:iptc.txt
    picture1.jpg

    where iptc.txt is the following:

    8BIM#1028="IPTC"
    2#120#Caption="Fruit stalls, India, Rajasthan, Jaipur"
    2#105#Headline="Fruit stalls, India, Rajasthan, Jaipur"
    2#80#Byline="Alfred Molon"
    2#5#Image Name="Fruit stalls, India, Rajasthan, Jaipur"
    2#55#Created Date="14.12.2004"
    2#101#Country="India"
    2#25#Keywords="asia,south asia,india,commonwealth nations,commonwealth
    countries,rajahstan,jaipur,fruit market,fruit stalls,fruits,fresh
    produce,oranges,apples,bananas,peaches,dates,stall vendors,male stall
    vendor,customers,indians,indian people,indian men,plastic
    crates,boxes,wooden crates,pomegranates"

    Alfred Molon, Jul 22, 2007

  2. Alfred Molon

    BaumBadier Guest

    BaumBadier, Jul 23, 2007

  3. Alfred Molon

    Matt Ion Guest

    I don't know about command line, but IrfanView will let you edit IPTC in
    batch mode. All changes are lossless, since it's written to the
    metadata areas of the file and the images aren't actually altered.

    Matt Ion, Jul 23, 2007