adding copyright-informations to Kodak PhotoCD-files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kodak, May 6, 2005.

  1. kodak

    kodak Guest

    Hi,

    I have to give my shots (in Kodak PhotoCD-format)to a book
    producer.
    In order to be able to "identify" my files (for the case,
    they would be used for an other purpose) i inserted my
    real name with an editor in the header of the Kodak PCD file,
    but now the PCD file cannot be opened again.

    1.
    Is there no way to add such "copyright-information" to
    Kodak PhotoCD-files without corrupting the file?

    2.
    Any other ideas to be able to prove the ownership of such
    files?

    Any tip is apprechiated very much. Thank you!

    John

    kodak, May 6, 2005

  2. kodak

    Marvin Guest

    Some image editing programs(including Paint Shop Pro, which I use)allow you to watermark a
    picture for copyright purposes. A header is easy to remove, even accidentally.

    Marvin, May 6, 2005

  3. kodak

    Hannah Guest

    PCD is an unusual format to send to a publisher.
    H.

    Hannah, May 6, 2005
  4. kodak

    Jeremy Guest

    BUT, you cannot save the newly-edited photo back in PCD format. I know of
    no editing software that can save in PCD, although they can all READ that
    format.

    Only Kodak scanning equipment can write PCD files, and Kodak has
    discontinued Photo CDs, essentially orphaning the format.

    Those with PCD files would be well advised to migrate the files to other
    formats before editing software stops reading those files. When FlashPix
    was abandoned a few years ago (a format closely related to PCD) it wasn't
    long before Adobe stopped supporting it in PhotoShop. I don't know about
    other editing programs, but can the rest of the pack be far behind?

    I remember Kodak saying on their web site that the PhotoCD had an
    anticipated life of 100 years--and that your descendents could simply copy
    the CD and the copy would be good for yet another 100 years!

    I admit that I suspected, even then, that CDs would become obsolete well
    before the passing of 100 years, but I did not think that the PCD format
    would be discontinued by Kodak, well before the CD had become obsolete!

    Jeremy, May 24, 2005
  5. ImageMagick (http://www.imagemagick.org) claims to be able to write PCD files.

    Michael Meissner, May 25, 2005
  6. kodak

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Hi Jeremy,

    I think the reference was to the actual CD as opposed to the format. It is
    true, that if you kept the CD stored correctly, it should last for 100
    years. You are right that the file was created at the time of the scan and
    that it is not possible to return it to a PCD format. It was always intended
    that you output the image to some other format.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, May 27, 2005