    Both hard drives are ATA100, CD writer is an old HP9100 EIDE w/ATAPI
    Running Windows XP Pro

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Russell Smithies

    Rider Guest

    I've always put the cd's on the secondary because I was told a long time ago
    by someone that if a cd was on a hdd ide channel, the ide would only work as
    fast as the cd's ata speed. IE: ATA100 hdd with slave ata33 cd, hdd only
    goes as fast as ata33.

    I'm not saying this is correct, but that is what I've always done.

    Rider

    Rider, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Russell Smithies

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    I assume you have the 40GB HDD as master on the primary IDEE cable.
    Shove the 120GB in, and make it the slave on the same IDEE cable.
    If the CD-Writer is there it will be set to slave, move it to the secondary
    IDEE cable and make that the master. That way, windoze will boot from your
    c: drive, assuming the 40GB hasn't been moved. Then you can go about and do
    what ever. . .

    ¢_£¥ºÑ, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Out from under a rock popped Russell Smithies and said
    If you're moving the O/S to the new drive and just using the 40 for back
    ups then you want to make the 120gb the master on the first channel with
    the 40gb as the slave. Leave the CD alone on the second channel.

    Robert Singers, Sep 17, 2003
  5. looks like I'm going in the rigth direction.
    it's a new install of XP (after digital camera hosed the last one), NTFS or
    FAT32 best on BIG drives?

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Sep 17, 2003
  6. Russell Smithies

    Rider Guest

    It wont give you the option of FAT32. Only NTFS

    Rider

    Rider, Sep 17, 2003
  7. Russell Smithies

    T.N.O. Guest

    Are you sure? It did on mine.

    T.N.O., Sep 17, 2003
  8. Russell Smithies

    Rider Guest

    If its a brand new hdd, no partitions etc or even if its a blank 120Gb
    partition, the XP setup wont give the option to make it FAT32. If its a
    drive that has already been formatted FAT32 it will let you leave the file
    system as it is or change to NTFS.

    If its a large drive with several small partitions (smaller than about 38Gb
    I tihnk) it will then give you FAT32 option.

    Thats what I've encountered anyway.

    What size drive did you have and was it brand new?

    Rider, Sep 17, 2003
  9. Russell Smithies

    T.N.O. Guest

    40GB, brand new, no partitions. Gave me options of NTFS or Fat32... I
    suppose it is possible that the supplier had partitioned it, maybe formatted
    it, didnt care at the time...

    T.N.O., Sep 17, 2003
  10. Out from under a rock popped Russell Smithies and said
    NTFS is always the best choice, where possible. From the problems you've
    had I'd suggest get a CD-RW and backing up regularly. I use a Windows
    Resource Kit utility called robocopy to backup all documents in the various
    profiles. Robocopy allows me to exclude music as well as having a number
    of other funky options.

    Robert Singers, Sep 17, 2003
  11. Russell Smithies

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    You should partition it into, say for examples sake, 4 x 30GB.
    My NTFS 60GB HDD is partitioned into c:\10GB (windoze installed there), and
    the rest, d:\ drive, for work/storage/whateva.
    If in the future you need to format/install windoze, you can safely do so.
    Example: Windoze is installed on c:\ drive, you can safely format/install
    windoze again, without touching the other drives on the HDD. Hence, keeping
    intact all the data on the other drives on the same HDD.
    NTFS is suppose to be better.
    I also heard that FAT32 can't handle files over 4GB in size.

    ¢_£¥ºÑ, Sep 17, 2003
  12. Russell Smithies

    Spoon Guest

    BIG drives you say.. I thought you were only getting a 120GB?

    Spoon

    Spoon, Sep 18, 2003
  13. Russell Smithies

    Steven H Guest

    yea for gods sake i know a couple of people with Terabytes - and yes
    there p2p'ers

    Steven H, Sep 19, 2003
  14. Russell Smithies

    Spoon Guest

    Mm. 120 Isn't much these days, wouldn't ever bother with anything less than
    80 now, but thye go as far as 300 for the general public.

    Spoon

    Spoon, Sep 20, 2003