    original hard drive and the dump the contents back from the second one.
    Thanks
    from Eddie

    eddieboy, Feb 13, 2005

  2. eddieboy

    Gordon Guest

    What exactly do you mean by "messed up"? have you created limited
    accounts for the users and/or applied local security policies so they
    *CAN'T* mess it up?

    and I have to do a complete reinstall a pal of mine told me that the
    Easiest way is to partition the existing HDD.

    Gordon, Feb 13, 2005

  3. eddieboy

    John Holmes Guest

    Tell your pal he is a disdainful load of crusty hippo vomit.

    John Holmes, Feb 13, 2005
  4. eddieboy

    SgtMinor Guest

    You could use a hard drive tray, with an extra drawer:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-123-104&depa=0

    This way you have one hard drive that's yours, and another one that
    others can play with.

    SgtMinor, Feb 13, 2005
  5. eddieboy

    dadiOH Guest

    Yes.

    No need to format the screwed up drive though, just replicate the good
    drive to it. I use Karen's Replicator making sure that it is set to
    also replicate file and folder deletions.
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Feb 13, 2005
  6. eddieboy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | eddieboy wrote:
    |
    | > Hi
    | > There only one Computer in our house which is used by the whole family
    and
    | > again it gets messed up by one of the family (nobody ever admits to
    doing
    | > it) and I have to do a complete reinstall a pal of mine told me that the
    | > best thing to do is fit another hard drive and dump all the data on your
    | > original hard drive on to this and instead of doing a full reinstall
    just go
    | > into the bios and set it to boot from your other hard drive and you
    | > operating system and files etc. will come up.
    | >
    | > I would like to know if this is possible and also can I then reformat my
    | > original hard drive and the dump the contents back from the second one.

    Thanks
    | > from Eddie
    | >

    | You could use a hard drive tray, with an extra drawer:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-123-104&depa=0

    | This way you have one hard drive that's yours, and another one that
    | others can play with.

    Next best: I have a SATA drive with a clean install on it. It's set to boot
    after CD or IDE. When I go on vacation I have friends stay to watch the
    house and take care of the dogs. So if I reach inside and pull the IDE cable
    off the mobo, MY drives won't boot, won't run, can't be seen...the
    house-sitters can f***up all they want. I come home, plug in MY drives, and
    format the SATA. Of course, when I get the urge to re-install Windows, the
    new install goes on the SATA, and I reverse the drive options...but that's a
    job for another long weekend <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005