Adding another drive or two to a SFF computer with only two bays.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Apr 1, 2010.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Yes, and I have read about one - perhaps two - cases when that
    happened. The human participants survived, miraculously. Drives
    rarely do. In fact, a lighting /could/ hit the room where your
    computer (with however many drives) is, come to think of it.
    I'm 54 as well, so neither of us will see those glorious days
    when humanity as we know it ceases to exist. Anyway, you implied
    (as I read it) that making a CD/DVD was way too much trouble
    just to backup/save your data, and you'd rather trust a Chinese
    or formerly East German-made overpriced piece of garbage to do
    the job.

    As for chuckcar, why don't you all just KF him? He has shown
    more maturity in ceasing to engage in this absurd flame war than
    the others participants. We really don't need to witness the
    unpleasantness of several people ganging up on him just because
    he is /sometimes/ very wrong. No one is right all the time.
    [Yes, I know *I* could KF him, you, Evan, richard, etc. but you
    all sometimes have very good advice.]

    That's beautiful. Not everyone has access to that kind of
    equipment. I speak as a single person with no job, let alone in
    IT, with 3 computers which most of you would consider obsolete.

    thanatoid, Apr 2, 2010

  2. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Well, that's another thing... Where I live they are about $30
    and up... And like I said, this would probably be temporary
    anyway... I just DESPERATELY need to get organized and I am too
    much of a compulsive to just wipe half my drive like I should! I
    have THOUSANDS of little files of valuable info which I often
    find myself Googling for because I have not been systematic
    enough (I am more organized than most people, but it is just
    getting to be too much) about filing them away. Etc.
    Once you get over the horror of actually unplugging some of the
    wires, dragging it out from where it is located and opening it
    up, it's almost fun, I agree. Especially when you succeed in
    your endeavor. But sometimes it's just a nightmare.

    Cheers.

    thanatoid, Apr 2, 2010

  3. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    That's an interesting approach - and it just might do the trick.
    I'm just worried the stupid HP BIOS is set up to ONLY see one
    device on each channel. It really IS a weird BIOS.

    Yes, but it has actually worked very well, surprisingly. I
    bought the whole thing used (but very clean, and I ran a Maxtor
    HD test, came out factory new) for $500 on the day when they
    were selling for $150 in the US. Sigh...
    Not in the sense you understand them. It's actually cheaper to
    build a new computer with new parts bought separately than to
    try to upgrade yours with old used no-warranty pieces from
    "computer stores" here. In the US people are giving away
    excellent CRT monitors just to get rid of them. Here you have to
    pay $20-$50 for a 5-10 year old one.
    I think what has made THIS thing last as long as it has is that
    it IS a pro Compaq for business, with an HP-designed and made
    PSU, and the rating is not padded - it really puts out the 175 W
    and the whole computer being so small it does the job. I checked
    the voltages with SpeedFan and they are VERY good. Almost on the
    dot. IF it dies, it's the end of the whole computer for reasons
    previously mentioned. But still, lots of good stuff which can be
    recycled unto a new machine.
    I have an adapter bracket, I think we're talking about the same
    thing - but there IS no spare bay, it will have to sit on top of
    the machine. But I am very good about stuff like that. HD's die
    on me regularly, but I have never dropped one.
    Oh yeah, and cheap even here. And I think I have a couple lying
    around, just like IDE cables.

    Thanks again for your comments.

    thanatoid, Apr 2, 2010

  4. Oh Yeah! Those too... I almost forgot about those.

    Geezzzeee, we're really gettin' infested up in here.
    Must be gettin' close to Spring? <sigh>

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*,
    that is NOT a Jedi light-sabre in my pocket;

    Repent! The end is near....
    So, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 2, 2010
  5. thanatoid

    Jordon Guest

    That's why I have three copies in three different places. One
    external drive connected via sata cable in one building, one
    NAS in another and a small 2.5" external USB drive I take home.
    I don't have to keep buying optical disks that I'd have to
    label and organize and I don't have to trust unreliable tapes.
    Everything but the USB drive runs at night, by way of scripts
    in the Task Scheduler. The copy that goes to the USB drive runs
    during the day. One building burns down and I'm less than a day
    behind. Two buildings burn down and I'm a day behind. And since
    all three have copies of all of our software installation disks
    all I'd need to do is buy a few computers and we'd be up and
    running in a couple of hours.

    What are the chances of lighting striking in three places at
    the same time?
    My kill file is reserved for the really annoying like Boater
    Dave and that Calif. Jam idiot.
    Being wrong is one thing. Admitting when you're wrong is another
    and I don't think I've ever seen him (or richard) do that.
    It's really not that expensive.

    Jordon, Apr 2, 2010
  6. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    Well, the only old parts I've ever had die is RAM - in a 15 year old
    computer, Monitors - somewhere between 15 and 30 years roughly and hard
    drives - pretty much 10 years as I'm sure you know. I *have* had PCI
    cards and cables die, but only just after working on a machine, so I
    don't consider that a proper failure.
    Hmm. is there any space *below* the drive bays? perhaps you could drill
    holes in the top of the rails and through the bottom of the bay
    enclosure (with *slightly* smaller holes than the screws make) and then
    tap them with the screws or taps.
    No problem. And thanks muchly for clearing up what *were* the facts
    several occasions.

    chuckcar, Apr 2, 2010
  7. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    Wasn't Greg Norman hit several times while on the PGA tour?

    chuckcar, Apr 2, 2010
  8. thanatoid

    Jordon Guest

    If you're dumb enough to stand out in a big open field
    with a big metal stick above your head in a thunderstorm,
    you deserve to get hit by lightning, several times.

    Jordon, Apr 2, 2010
  9. ...which is contrary to what you usually say.
    I have a 1983 green-screen monitor in a closet somewhere, from a
    long-gone 8086. Shall I hook it up to my new computer?
    ...which is far different than the "hard drives die in five years" that
    you usually spout.
    Riiiight...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 2, 2010
  10. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Well, I can only envy you. OTOH, I don't really consider more
    than 10 MB (sic) of all the stuff on my HD as really important.
    Well, actually, it happens somewhere in the world ever second as
    we type, but of striking the 3 places where you have your
    backups, I will agree, the chances are probably zero.

    Well, - and this is NOT a comment on chuckcar who has helped me
    more than once - it is rare for an ignorant idiot to realize
    (let alone ADMIT) s/he is one. In fact, the more people argue
    their superiority, the more insecure/stupider they probably are.
    Well, it depends on the state of your bank account and on how
    important the stuff is...

    Besides I have affection for old things - and if it works, why
    change? I use computers as tools, not as ends in themselves,
    just like I never spent 25 hrs every weekend pimping up my car
    when I was a teenager.

    Cheers.
    t.

    thanatoid, Apr 3, 2010
  11. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    No, it's REALLY tight in there. Also, it's one of those "no
    screwdriver needed" boxes. I must admit it's quite a nice
    feature, although especially in a machine designed for a
    business environment, one rarely says "I'm going in" unless
    something breaks. I've probably been in that machine a hundred
    times more in my 5 years with it than the original owner(s) who
    had it for 2-3 years.

    I believe in fairness and other things which are a little old-
    fashioned. And I don't like bullying of any kind. (I'll stop
    here... ;-)

    t.

    thanatoid, Apr 3, 2010
  12. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Oh, c'mon. Chuckcar is NOT saying you can use an EGA (or
    whatever) monitor with a new 2GB RAM graphics card for gamers.
    He knows it, I know it, and YOU know it. Slow night?
    Again... I agree the inference (perhaps unintentional, but it's
    not like we all haven't fried SOMETHING at one time or another)
    is that "something" happened during the "work" which made the
    part die, but still...

    I KNOW you are better than this, just like Evan. Either try to
    get along, or just KF people you can not stomach., I have a BIG
    KF, and it helps to conserve everyone's nerve cells.

    thanatoid, Apr 3, 2010
  13. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    I agree that the idea of plugging in a nice little shiny box
    with one cable is MUCH more appealing than messing around inside
    - which most of the time I really dislike, but for a very
    temporary arrangement... I don't know if I can justify even the
    $30... As little as it really is...

    For now, I bought a whole bunch of CD-R's (I do not have a DVD
    drive, BION) and I am just putting stuff on them to get all the
    crap off the HD. And once I have finished I think I am going
    back to my 40GB drive. I /knew/ the 80GB was going to be
    housekeeping trouble. I do NOT know how people manage 1TB
    drives, not to mention most users have only partition on them,
    courtesy the brand name ripoff.

    I would still like to see IF a 2nd drive /can/ be attached, just
    out of curiosity about the HP BIOS etc. Some day soon.

    thanatoid, Apr 3, 2010
  14. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Great idea, thanks.