adding a sata hd to an existing system

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by nsobecki, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. nsobecki

    nsobecki

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    McKinney,TX
    I just upgraded my desk top from an ABIT NF7 MB / AMD XP 2800 cpu to a new ECS P4M900TMB and Intel Core 2 Duo cpu. The existing HD is a 250Gb that has had no issues. I want to add a 250GB sata drive to this system and have a few questions I am hoping someone can answer.

    1. Does it make any difference which HD is the master or slave?
    2. Would the system operate faster if I loaded the OS (Windows XP) on the sata drive instead of the IDE ?
    3. I have 2GB of DDR2 Kingston memory (2x 1GB ) 667mhz installed. Is this sufficient or would 4GB make a noticable improvement ?
    4. My power supply is 300watt and seems to be working fine... will this new system require a larger power supply?

    Appreciate any suggestions.

    Thanks,

    Norm

    nsobecki, Aug 21, 2007

  2. nsobecki

    OrCiscoNovice

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hope this helps.

    1. Does it make any difference which HD is the master or slave?

    SATA does not have a master/slave relationship that IDE has. Only one SATA device can be plugged into each SATA port. Unlike IDE that can have two devices plugged into each IDE port.

    2. Would the system operate faster if I loaded the OS (Windows XP) on the sata drive instead of the IDE ?

    SATAs usually communicate with the cpu faster than IDE. I am not sure you will preceive a difference unless you use a stopwatch when programs/windows is loading. If you want the faster of the two I would put the OS on the SATA drive (if the SATA is native on your motherboard). If your motherboard does not natively support SATA, put it on the IDE drive.

    3. I have 2GB of DDR2 Kingston memory (2x 1GB ) 667mhz installed. Is this sufficient or would 4GB make a noticable improvement ?

    Are you planning on using high-end photo editing or video editing software like Photoshop, Premiere, or using VMWares Virtual Server? If not, at the moment 2GB should be fine for you.

    4. My power supply is 300watt and seems to be working fine... will this new system require a larger power supply?

    At the moment, the 300 Watt power supply should be able to handle the extra hard drive you plan to install. If you decide to start adding more hard drives or one of the newest video cards that requires its own power jack then I would consider getting a larger power supply.

    OrCiscoNovice, Aug 24, 2007

  3. nsobecki

    nsobecki

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    McKinney,TX
    Thanks for the advice.

    I have a better understanding of the system.

    nsobecki, Aug 24, 2007