Adding a new hard drive

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by canoehead, Sep 20, 2006.

1. canoehead

canoehead

I admit i know nothing before i start so please be gentle with me!

My computer decided to give up the ghost on me the other day but there is info on the hard drive i need (i know now i should backup!)

I have borrowed my dads pc (running xp - thats the majority i know about it)

It has a cable select cable so i have changed the jumper switches on the current hard drive and on my own hard drive (a sv80004h/tgm - if thats any help) to cable select. connected the current hard drive (ie my dads) to the black end and mine to the middle grey port. I'm having no luck whatsoever - i've tried all the jumper settings on my hard drive for cable select. i've also set the bios to auto select ide drives

Like i said - i know absolutely nothing about this - if anyone can suggest anything to help i'll be very appreciative

please email me [email protected]

canoehead, Sep 20, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. canoehead

bigal

If both IDE hard drives are set to cable select, then the middle connector on the IDE cable will be the slave drive (non-boot drive). The blue end of the IDE cable must be the one that goes into the motherboard IDE port. The other end should be connected to your IDE boot drive (your Dad's hard drive). You need to have power connectors on both drives too. If the CS (cable select) setting doesn't work as it should, then set your old drive to be the slave, your Dad's drive to be the master, and you should be good.

Once you boot up on your Dad's drive, make a folder on his drive for the information you want to recover from your drive, then copy the stuff over to your Dad's hard drive.

You didn't say what failed with your computer, but it could have been the hard drive. If your Dad's computer still won't boot when your drive is attached as a slave drive, your drive could be causing problems in the IDE chain. Another option is to buy a $30 IDE to USB adapter (found in those external drive cases). Plug that adapter into your old IDE hard drive, then plug the USB cable into your Dad's computer after it has booted up.

Let us know how this goes for you. Good luck.

bigal, Sep 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. canoehead

Yvener

I agree with you bigal. Its only the jumper settings we have to do to attach primary and secondary hard drive.

Yvener, Oct 6, 2006
  4. canoehead

The Bear

You can't just swap from one drive to another like that, you need a crossover cable.

There are several reasons the obvious ones that come to me are

1. The MBR will be different
    2. The registry will be different

Question have you tried booting to the boot menu selection and tried booting to eithier last know good configuration or safe mode.

Any clue why your system to a dump in the first place?

The Bear, Oct 6, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question