    I have the printout which shows the Network Key etc, but I can't for the
    life of me work out where I put it (so to speak)

    Help!

    Trevor Appleton, Aug 1, 2005

  2. Using a Vigor 2600Gi wireless router. This 4th PC can access the internet
    through the router, but when I click view wireless networks it doesn't show
    any.

    Trevor Appleton, Aug 1, 2005

  3. The PC I'm trying to set up seems to need a 13 character key, but the key I
    have printed out from one of the other computers is 26 characters long?

    Trevor Appleton, Aug 1, 2005
  4. Trevor Appleton

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Have you got 64 bit WEP on one PC and 128 bit WEP on t'other?

    Jeff Gaines, Aug 1, 2005

  5. How do I check?

    Trevor Appleton, Aug 1, 2005
  6. Trevor Appleton

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Working a bit in the dark here :)
    What exactly is it that needs the key, a wireless adaptor?

    Jeff Gaines, Aug 1, 2005

  7. I ran the wireless network set up wizard on my main PC. That then asks me to
    put a flash drive in and then go and put that in each of my other PC's.

    On the PC in question it said it probably wouldn't work automatically.

    I printed off the network settings, that includes a 26 digit key, but the
    machine I am trying to set up only seems to expect a 13 or 5 digit key.

    Trevor Appleton, Aug 1, 2005
  8. Trevor Appleton

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Still a bit short of info. Is the 'problem' PC running the same OS as
    the others?

    I don't know what wireless device is in the problem PC, have you
    checked its documentation (or website) to see it is 64 bit or 128 bit
    WEEP? You will need to set the network up to use the 'lowest common
    denominator' i.e. if one device only accepts 64 bit WEP you'll have to
    set them all up to use 64 bit WEP.

    Jeff Gaines, Aug 1, 2005

  9. They are all running XP.

    The problem PC has a belkin wireless network card with 64/129 bit encryption

    Trevor Appleton, Aug 1, 2005
  10. Trevor Appleton

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    It's odd they are behaving differently. Do the Belkin docs tell you how
    to turn on 128 bit WEP, looks like that's what's needed?

    Jeff Gaines, Aug 1, 2005

  11. At the last communication I lost all connection with my router and hence the
    internet. Had to reset the router to factory defaults and then couldn't
    access the internet.

    All up and running now.

    128 bit encrytion on the Belkin expects 13 character key.

    When I ran the XP wireless netork wizard it produces a 26 character
    encryption key which is unacceptable to the Belkin wireless adapter.

    Trevor Appleton, Aug 2, 2005
  12. One thing that confuses me.

    When you run XP wireless set up it seems to produce an encryption key.

    How does this fit in with setting up an encryption key in the router?

    Do I need to enter it into the router?

    The XP wireless wizard says to stick the flash memory in the router but my
    router only has a USB socket for a printer so I don't imagine you bget
    anywhere by sticking it in there, the diodes certainly don't flash.

    The Draytek documentaiuon is sparce to say the least.

    Trevor Appleton, Aug 2, 2005
  13. Trevor Appleton

    Conor Guest

    Yep. 13 ASCII characters = 26 hex digits.

    Conor, Aug 2, 2005

  14. I'm trying to type in a string of 26 characters that look like:

    h4hfd85kg94klf945kg956ke90

    and it says it's expecting 13

    Trevor Appleton, Aug 2, 2005
  15. Trevor Appleton

    John Fryatt Guest

    Basically, each wireless device, i.e. the router and the wireless NIC
    (via it's driver), needs to have the WEP keys entered into it.

    The router's built-in setup and the NIC's driver have features to help,
    like generating a key from a phrase, so as to have someting memorable to
    work with rather than long strings of hexadecimal.
    Windows XP SP2 also has a feature for helping you create keys, which is
    the Wireless Network wizard.
    Neither are strictly necessary. You could devise your own keya and just
    enter them in the appropriate places on each wireless device.

    Sticking the flash memory in the router will only work if you have a
    router that supports Windows Connect Now. You don't appear to ahve such
    a thing so you have to enter the key manually.

    I don't understand that 13-character Belkin key thing. My Netgear kit
    wants (for 128-bit WEP) 26 hexdecimal characters. Maybe Belkin interpret
    26 hex chars as 13 ASCII characters, which I guess is ok, except that
    all devices need to be using the same keys, and it sounds like it's
    diffcult to achieve that. Also, that 26-char key you quoted was not
    hexadecimal, as only the characters 0-9 and A-F are allowed in hex, so
    that seems to introduce another variation. Sorry not to have an answer,
    but maybe this is a bit more info to think about. :-{

    This page expalins the new WCN feature of XP SP2.
    There a plenty of other resources on the Web for WEP setup.
    GIYF, as they say. ;-)

    John Fryatt, Aug 2, 2005
  16. Many thanks. Will give it another go.

    Trevor Appleton, Aug 3, 2005
  17. The windows network wiz comes up with something like:

    84213bhce595827405f2499627

    as the key

    When I enter this into my Draytek router with WEP and 128 bit encryption
    selected, it also says I should be entering 13 characters. This is baffling!

    Trevor Appleton, Aug 3, 2005
  18. Trevor Appleton

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On my Vigor 2600 Plus it says:

    *******************
    For 64 bit WEP key
    Type 5 ASCII character or 10 Hexadecimal digits leading by "0x", for
    example "AB312" or "0x4142333132".

    For 128 bit WEP key
    Type 13 ASCII character or 26 Hexadecimal digits leading by "0x", for
    example "0123456789abc" or "0x30313233343536373839414243".

    *******************

    I think you should start at the Draytek, enter either an ASCII pass
    phrase or hex pass key and then note down the hex pass key and use that
    on each of the PC's using the wireless network. Although the router can
    turn a pass phrase into a key I doubt if the individual wireless
    devices will have that facility so it's the hex key they will need.

    Jeff Gaines, Aug 3, 2005
  19. Trevor Appleton

    Rob Morley Guest

    It probably wants the ASCII values of that hex string (so 0x84 = 132
    (decimal) = รค, etc). You can get the extended ASCII characters by
    holding down the Alt key, typing the decimal value on the numeric
    keypad and releasing the Alt key.

    Rob Morley, Aug 3, 2005
  20. Trevor Appleton

    poster Guest

    Since Trevor needs to enter 13 characters, how about (for initial testing
    not long-term) using something simple like ABCDABCDABCDA which would be as
    hex 41 42 43 44 41 42 43 44 41 42 43 44 41 based on your example...

    Easy to key in, in whichever format each unit needs !! Peter M.

    --

    E-mail + files - 30 day free trial - <http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/>
    Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,

    USENET news service ? <http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4> (plans from under US$5)

    poster, Aug 3, 2005