Add Wireless Access Point to Existing Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pegleg, Aug 27, 2006.

  1. Pegleg

    Pegleg Guest

    I currently have a Netgear WGR614 Router installed. It feeds two
    desktops and one laptop via Cat5 and two laptops wirelessly all on
    XP-Home.

    I want to increase coverage of the wireless portion...can I do this by
    connecting a wireless access point to the existing router via Cat5?

    If so how does the access point get configured into the existing
    network?

    TIA

    Pegleg
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Support Our Troops,
    Question The Policy!

    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
    freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Sir Winston Churchill

    Pegleg, Aug 27, 2006

  2. Pegleg

    Malke Guest

    You don't want to add an access point; you want to add a range extender.
    See:

    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

    Malke

    Malke, Aug 27, 2006

  3. Pegleg

    Pegleg Guest

    Thanks for the post but they don't seem to have much that is compatible
    with Netgear hardware.

    Pegleg, Aug 27, 2006
  4. Pegleg

    Malke Guest

    Malke, Aug 27, 2006
  5. Pegleg

    GTS Guest

    Yes. You can add an additional WAP or alternatively use a range extender.
    (We do that all the time in office buildings.)
    If you add an additional WAP, it is best to assign it a fixed IP address
    within the subnet of your wireless router but outside it's DHCP range. It
    should use the same SSID but a different channel. (1,6, and 11 are the
    three discreet choices). If the WAP has a DHCP server option (some do and
    some don't), turn it off. This kind of configuration is the typical set up
    for wireless roaming.

    The choice between an additional WAP or range extender would consider issues
    like price and relative difficulty of running an Ethernet cable to the
    secondary location.

    GTS, Aug 27, 2006
  6. Pegleg

    Pegleg Guest

    N.B.
    This is a sensible and commendable restriction. But contrary to the
    common belief and frequent claims its nature is that of a
    recommendation.

    Pegleg, Aug 27, 2006
  7. Pegleg

    Pegleg Guest

    Which works better? The Cat 5 run will only be about 30 feet.

    Pegleg, Aug 28, 2006
  8. Pegleg

    GTS Guest

    If wiring isn't a problem for you, I would go with the secondary WAP. I
    haven't worked a lot with range extenders, but what I have seen (and read)
    of them is a mixed picture. Reliability and speed may vary considerably
    depending on the quality of the AC power line. They're most commonly used
    only if running an Ethernet cable is too costly or difficult.

    Pegleg, Aug 28, 2006
  10. Pegleg

    GTS Guest

    You're welcome.