    either boot to XP on the new HD or WIN 98 SE on the old HD and be able
    to access the older files this way?
    Thanks.

    Somebody, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Somebody

    The Prophecy Guest

    Yes. Once you install your older HD you will be able to access the files on
    it when you boot to Windows XP. As for creating the dual boot, you can do 1
    of 3 things:

    1. While your old HD is connected to your system, install Win98 overtop of
    itself

    2. Modify your boot.ini file (located in the root C: drive) yourself but I
    do not recommend ths unless you know what your are doing!

    3. Save yourself the hassle and don't bother with the dual boot, recover all
    the data you want off of the old drive, and wipe it then use it for some
    other purpose.

    Personally I recommend that you do #3. Win98 is not really a worthwhile OS
    to keep around.

    The Prophecy, Jun 23, 2004

  3. Somebody

    Somebody Guest

    Hello again. I've since had another opinion on this. I was told that
    since XP uses a different file system, that I would not be able to
    accces the files on the WIN 98 drive from the XP system. Is this true?
    Thanks.

    Somebody, Jun 23, 2004
  4. Somebody

    Rifleman Guest

    The opinion is wrong.

    Rifleman, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Somebody

    Plato Guest

    In theory yes, it should work. In fact, if the drive was bootable you
    should be able to go into your bios assuming it's modern enough to
    choose your boot drive and boot into
    win98 if you want to. Hopefully when you initially set up your system
    you set your cdrom drives out of the way with drive letters like R and S
    and so on so when you add additional hard drives the cdrom letters stay
    the same.

    Plato, Jun 23, 2004
  6. Somebody

    The Prophecy Guest

    That is entirely false. They do use different file systems (although it is
    possible, but not recommended, to have both using the same file
    system).Whoever told you that is not a very reliable source.

    The Prophecy, Jun 23, 2004

  7. No, it is not. If the XP machine uses NTFS the Win98 will not be able
    to read files on the XP machine, the XP machine will however be able
    to access files on a disk partitioned by FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 OR NTFS.

    GreenieLeBrun, Jun 24, 2004