Add Network Location. IE x86 and IE x64. Settings in Guest account.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dima, Apr 6, 2008.

  1. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Hello!
    1. Windows Vista x64 shows an error message
    "Add Network Location
    The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another."
    after clicking Next in "Specify the location of your website
    Type the address of the website, FTP site, or network location that this
    shortcut will open" window.
    The folder is http://files.akado.ru/slide/files/51796441/home/
    I can add the Network Location in Windows XP by doing the same.
    Norton Internet Security 2008 is installed.
    The account is administrative.
    2. IE x86 crashes during opening a page when IE x64 is open.
    3. Windows does not allow to turn on the language bar and input a switch
    language keyboard shortcut in Guest account: it turns language bar and
    shortcut off after clicking "Apply".
    Sincerely,
    Dima

    Dima, Apr 6, 2008

  2. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Thanks Bob for replying!
    The same Norton Internet Security does not cause the problems on Windows XP
    Pro installed on my second HDD.
    Sincerely,
    Dima

    Dima, Apr 6, 2008

  3. What does that have to do with the problem in Vista x64?

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 6, 2008
  4. Dima

    Dima Guest

    How can Norton Internet Security 2008 cause the problems with a guest
    account in Windows Vista x64?
    If Norton Internet Security 2008 does not cause the problems on Windows XP
    Pro then it's likely that it does not cause the problems on Windows Vista
    x64 too, then it's Windows Vista x64 can't work with other programs well.

    Dima, Apr 7, 2008
  5. Dima

    Dima Guest

    I completely uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2008 and run Norton
    Removal Tool. Uninstallation of the Norton and running Norton Removal Tool
    have not helped at all, have not changeed anything to good.

    Dima, Apr 7, 2008
  6. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Thanks Bob for replying!
    Adding quotes just makes the error message appear instantly.
    Sincerely,
    Dima

    Dima, Apr 7, 2008
  7. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Dima, Apr 7, 2008
  8. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Installing the Webfldrs.msi package have not helped too.

    Dima, Apr 7, 2008
  9. Dima

    Dima Guest

    How to uninstall Webfldrs.msi package from Windows Vista x64?

    Dima, Apr 7, 2008
  10. Dima

    Jane C Guest

    Jane C, Apr 7, 2008
  11. Dima

    Gordon Guest

    Why are you even logging in as Guest?
    If you want to enable casual users to use your machine create a Limited User
    account and call it "Visitor" or something similar.

    Gordon, Apr 7, 2008
  12. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Thanks Gordon for replying!
    It is written in the Windows Help that the Guest account will not have an
    access to my files. I do not want casual users to see my files.
    Sincerely

    Dima, Apr 8, 2008
  13. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Thanks Jane for your reply!
    Webfolders are not listed in the Programs and Features.
    Sincerely

    Dima, Apr 8, 2008
  14. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Dear Jane,
    The Software Update for Web Folders (KB907306) have not helped.
    Sincerely.

    Dima, Apr 8, 2008
  15. Dima

    Gordon Guest

    Neither will a Limited User account....

    Gordon, Apr 8, 2008
  16. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Why does the Guest account exist then at all?

    Dima, Apr 9, 2008
  17. Dima

    Theo Guest

    Just because someone thought it would be nice to have a
    "Guest" account. It's just a generic account with limited
    capabilities. They could have called it "Visitor" account
    with the same purpose.

    Guest account is also probably related to a generic account
    you could use to download files via FTP from Unix hosts. I
    haven't used it in several years, but there was a generic
    login you could use to download files.

    And, finally, why are you posting in so many groups at once?

    Theo, Apr 9, 2008
  18. Dima

    Gordon Guest

    Plenty of stuff here as to why the guest account is a security risk...
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Windows+Guest+Account+Security+risk&meta=

    Gordon, Apr 9, 2008
  19. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Because its hard to find anybody who knows a resolution to any of the
    problems described in the initial post.

    Dima, Apr 10, 2008
  20. I get the same message when I try to add our Apptix SharePoint site (formerly
    Microsoft bCentral SharePoint) to my Network folder. I am using Vista Home
    Premium. Apptix can add our http site on a Vista computer at their site, but
    I can't.

    I found the an article, "On a Windows Vista-based computer, you cannot
    access certain directories on a Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning
    (WebDAV) server." I an not sure this applies in our case, but Vista
    obviously has problems that Microsoft does not completely understand yet.

    Don Klokkenga, Jun 5, 2008