Ad hoc wireless network - my computers can't see each other

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi!

    I've been recently given a PCI wireless card for my desktop (LG, LWG5400N,
    802.11g) and a PCMCIA wireless card for my laptop (LG, LWG5400P, 802.11g).
    Both are new.

    I installed the cards and both computers say the devices are working
    properly. I updated their drivers to the XP SP2 drivers found on
    www.lgnetwork.com and followed the instructions given at:

    Those instructions were a tad bit different because they were not written
    for SP2, but I managed to follow every step.

    Even though the laptop is beside the desktop, they can't find each other.
    When I set either of them to be the ad hoc host, the other won't detect it
    and I won't get the "Wireless Network Detected" message.

    Over the weekend, somehow the computers detected each other and I was able
    to transfer files and access the Internet, but it only last about 2 mins.
    After that, the icon on the task bar showed that red "X" and said the
    wireless connection was off. I wonder if I have hardware problems. Maybe one
    of the cards is not working properly?

    Do you have any suggestions? Any help would be really appreciated.

    Guest, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Hello,

    I believe that some network drivers do not broadcast beacons for Ad-hoc
    networks. This may be why the other computer is not detecting the ad-hoc
    network.

    You might try creating the Ad-hoc network in the preferred list on both
    computers. Follow the same instructions for creating the Ad-hoc network on
    both computers.

    Thanks,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    Chris Gual [MSFT], Mar 9, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Chris.

    I tried that over the weekend and nothing happens...

    Unless there are settings I don't know of, I must be facing hardware issues,
    since I followed all the instructions Barb gave on her article.

    Thanks for replying!

    Guest, Mar 9, 2005