    continuously.
    How should I solve this problem?
    Many thanks for any guidance.

    Dr. Pastor, Jun 12, 2007

  2. Hi
    The best solution would be getting an Access Point (or a Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router if Internet is involved). Ad- Hoc solution is many time quirky and
    not very safe (Most Ad- Hoc is limited to WEP).
    Giving the prices of Wireless Routers there is no point to be "tortured"
    Ad-Hoc peculiarities.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 12, 2007

  3. Dr. Pastor

    Dr. Pastor Guest

    Thank you for your reply.
    Sadly, I must have ad hoc WiFi.
    It will be used infrequently and no internet will be used.
    Could you recommend any specific document
    to guide me?

    Dr. Pastor, Jun 12, 2007
  4. Dr. Pastor

    Lem Guest

    A little dated, but the basic principles are still the same:

    As Jack noted, ad hoc wireless networks are not very secure, so use it
    for what you need to do and then disable it.

    Lem, Jun 12, 2007
  5. Dr. Pastor

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I'm not having much luck getting agreements to edit this to include
    a disclaimer that 5 years ago, there weren't instant WEP hacking
    tools available, etc.

    2002 is a different era.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 12, 2007
  6. Yap, I use to link a lot to the page. I now find myself double thinking
    before using it because of the security issue.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 12, 2007
  7. Dr. Pastor

    Dr. Pastor Guest

    Thank you Sir.
    Thank you Mademoiselle.

    Dr. Pastor, Jun 12, 2007
  8. Dr. Pastor

    Lem Guest

    Maybe we should just say that if they insist on using ad hoc wifi, they
    should make sure that all nodes are inside a Faraday cage. See
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120660/ for details.

    Lem, Jun 12, 2007
  9. Dr. Pastor

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jun 12, 2007
  10. Dr. Pastor

    pico Hat Guest

    When it says Wifi of B shows "Acquiring network address" continuously. It means this B box does not successful acquire the IP address. I think you have set to acquire IP address automatically on this PC. Manually set the IP and other network info on this PC should be able to solve this problem.

    Also check any firewall (Windows fireall, Antivirus firewall) installed on PC and you should temporary disable this feature till you solve the problem.

    Quick link:
    Setting Up Ad Hoc Wireless Network in Windows XP
    http://www.home-network-help.com/ad-hoc-wireless-network.html

    Good luck..

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    pico Hat, Jun 20, 2007
  12. Dr. Pastor

    vv Guest

    you described a typical situation when an in-the-middle ad-hoc node does not forward packets back and forth.
    Daihinia solves exactly this problem, please see at http://daihinia.com

    vv, Aug 23, 2010