Activity on a system that should be quiet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob Suess, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. Bob Suess

    Bob Suess Guest

    Hello,

    This is the second attempt to post a message to this newsgroup so I
    apologize if I just haven't been able to find the previous posting.

    I have a Windows 98SE operating system and had thought I had closed all
    activity on the system by closing all the programs except Explorer and
    Systray (using <Ctrl-Alt-Del>). In addition I had turned off the cable
    modem and had not opened Internet Explorer before making the backup
    described below.

    Could anyone tell me why, when I recently made that backup of my system,
    using Microsoft Backup , the report of the process showed only 3 errors for
    the entire backup process:

    Error: C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat - busy
    Error: C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat - busy
    Error: C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat - busy

    What is happening that these index.dat files are "busy" in a system that
    looks as if it should be quiet?

    Would this then prevent being able to use that backup to restore the Cookies
    and History, and whatever that Content.IE5 was?

    Thank you.

    Bob

    Bob Suess, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Bob Suess

    Unk Guest

    Because these are protected Windows files. They're "in use" by the operating
    system itself. They can only be deleted in the DOS mode or by a batch file
    before Windows starts. Windows will recreate them "on the fly" so don't
    worry about them not being copied during the backup process.

    Unk

    Unk, Aug 8, 2003