Active IE window open second IE window first collapses????

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by akaJOT, Aug 4, 2006.

  1. akaJOT

    akaJOT Guest

    I have a new rebuilt PC that had no problems with IE previous to a
    night of hours of updates to my OS. I run Windows XP and Office 97, I
    can't afford a new version of Office yet. However Office was
    operating just fine until I installed numerous updates from microsoft.
    I have heard of corrupt updates, or should I say updates that have
    issues with some PC's. Does anyone have any information that could
    help me with this problem. I would like to move past all of this.
    None of my ad ware, fire wall, or anti-virus programs are picking up on
    anything I can tell that would cause this. If the problem is with one
    of the updates I installed what is the best method to solving this?
    Can I get the name of them to make sure I only get rid of the proper
    one? Please help as I am a multiple window user ..... big time. I
    feel crippled with out being able to click on a link to open in a new
    window to have the first one half filled out with data, order, or what
    ever I am looking at collapse as soon as the second window begins to
    initialize. That is what I don't get. Whether I have the setting for
    open links in a new window selected or not, that is what happens. The
    key stroke short cut to open a duplicate window "ctl N" causes the same
    collapse.

    Help

    akaJOT, Aug 4, 2006

  2. Do you really need a more current version? IMO, versions newer than
    Office 97 just add more bells and whistles that the Common Man will
    never use.

    How would you like an office suite, for free?
    http://openoffice.org/
    Yep, them thar updates will gitcha every so often. Have you backed out
    those recent updates to see if it cures your problems? Go to Add/Remove
    Programs...
    Kinda hard to diagnose what is going on with your computer with the
    minimal description of your problem. The part about "clicking on links"
    is a common report with Windows software. Microsoft seems to think its
    users aren't smart enough to practice Safe Hex and so periodically -
    with updates - disables the settings about opening links. Check through
    the options and find the one(s) that changed.
    How serious are you about that? There is always Linux, which is free.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 4, 2006