    location including ntds.dit file.
    Is this true only for some versions of Windows server? I appreciate yout
    time and input. Thank you.

    mike, May 26, 2009

  2. It doesn't. :)
    This is correct.
    This is also correct.

    The Active Directory service looks for the NTDS.DIT folder in a specific
    location. If you restore an NTDS.DIT file to an alternate location, the AD
    service won't be able to see it there -- thus, restoring to an alternate
    location does not restore, because the active NTDS.DIT is still in the same
    place it was before you started the restore to the alternate location.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], May 26, 2009

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    That's what I thought, but I was intrigued by the literature that
    specifically states to restore system state to an alternate location whenever
    autho restoring an AD leaf or object. I assumed they ommitted the part about
    first restoring the AD db to its original location and that the alternate
    location part applies to sysvol only. Otherwise it would not work.
    Thnx for the clarification. It should help for the test. : )
    Regards.

    mike, May 27, 2009