Activating both A + G Wireless Channels

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Oct 21, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Using only a Linksys WRT54g router, Gateway Desktop MCE with Linksys WPM55
    A+G network cark, and the Linksys MCX, I want to separate the A and G
    channels.

    How do I do this? I can't locate the Wireless Zero Configuration in my MCE
    2005 Desktop (Gateway 820 GM) per the Linksys A + G NIC instructions (just to
    load the drivers).

    I can activate one or the other freqs but I can't seem to activate both
    simo. Also, is it possible/feasible/practical to configure my MCE to
    communicate wirelessly on the 802.11a freq to the MCX and then use the
    802.11g freq for internet access, etc.?

    I currently have the MCX wired to the Linksys G router but the bandwidth is
    used up in a hurry if the laptop is also running (wireless also).

    ONe guy recommended ad hoc config but MCX does not give good ad hoc...only
    infrastructure.

    TIA

    Guest, Oct 21, 2005

  2. First, let me say that I don't think any one network card will let you use
    802.11a and 802.11g at the same time. I'm not sure you were asking to do
    this, but it isn't doable.

    You also ask how to use 802.11a for one device and 802.11g for another.
    You can do this, but not quite how you suggest. What you suggest is to have
    the MCE use 802.11a to access the internet and use 802.11g to access the
    MCX. Instead, what you can do is configure the MCE to talk to the access
    point via 802.11a or 802.11g, then configure the MCX to talk to the access
    point via the other. This is something you can do and is a great way to
    increase your available bandwidth. While all communications between the MCX
    and MCE will have to make to wireless hops (one hop from from the MCE to the
    AP, and the one from the AP to the MCX) these hops will use separate
    frequency ranges so they don't have to share the available bandwidth in
    either frequency range.

    You would likely have trouble using both channels because access points
    often give the same SSID to both channels. When you specify the SSID you'd
    like to use on the MCE or MCX, the devices will consider any connection it
    can make and choose the preferred one. Different components have different
    preferences, but they may look at the signal strength or network type.
    However, in this case the individual devices don't realize that you're
    trying to coordinate the selection with the other machine. They need your
    smarts, and the only way you can indicate to each device which channels is
    to be used is to change the SSID of the channels so they are different for
    802.11a and 802.11g and then select different SSIDs on each device.
    You can typically change the SSID through the access point's configuration
    panel exposed to your web browser. Often this is at http://192.168.1.1 or
    http://192.168.0.1. If you're not sure about the address the access point
    is using, you can run ipconfig in a 'cmd' console (click the "Start" button
    on the desktop toolbor, select the "Run" menu item and then type 'cmd'.
    When the console window opens run 'ipconfig'). The "Default Gateway" for
    your network connection is also your access point. For instance, if you saw
    the below output from ipconfig, you could access your access point at
    http://192.168.1.1

    Once you've found the configuration panel for your access point, look for
    the SSID in the wireless settings. Make sure they are unique per network
    type- perhaps by adding '-a' to the 802.11a SSID and '-g' to the 802.11g
    SSID.

    After changing the SSIDs, the AP will need to reset and you'll need to
    reconnect any wireless devices to one of the "new" networks. You should
    then reconfigure your MCX and MCE to use a different channels by selecting
    different SSIDs. On the MCE, you might try right-clicking on the network
    connection icon in the system tray (this icon probably looks like a computer
    screen giving off radar waves). Right-click it and select "View available
    wireless networks." If you don't find it there, go to the Control Panel and
    go to the Networking section. Again, you should find the network adapter of
    interest, right-click and select "View available wireless networks."

    I don't have an XBox handy to detail the steps needed to select the
    network on your MCX. Go through the wireless settings though, when you are
    asked to select a wireless network pick the one with your modified SSID.

    Reply if this works or not, or if you need anymore explanation on the
    instructions. I'll try to stay tuned, good luck.

    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT], Nov 2, 2005

  3. Oh, I'm obligated to include the below signature/disclaimer. :)

    --
    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT]

    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT], Nov 2, 2005