    Does anyone have experience creating a system image and restoring it
    on another computer? I'd really like to figure out where I went wrong.

    Thanks.

    FeelLikeANut, Nov 24, 2007

  2. FeelLikeANut

    Wandering Guest

    You backed up all your desk top drivers along with the operating system,
    and then installed them on totally different equipment. Laptops rarely get
    along with desktop video, audio, usb port, and other drivers. Laptop drivers
    are often specific to the exact model and brand, and must be obtained from
    the original vendor's website, or sometimes they will sell you a disk.

    You will probably have to use your laptop Operating system disk to do at
    least a repair install, but it's likely that will fail too.

    Copying the full operating system from one computer to another unless they
    are nearly identical is usually a failure.

    If you can restore your laptop, and then backup all the system drivers
    separately, you may be able to install them onto a transferred system, but
    if it won't boot, it won't work.

    Others here may have betters ideas, but I think you are in a world of hurt
    if you don't have the original disks for your laptop, or can get some. I
    know this is not what you want to hear. Good luck!

    Wandering, Nov 24, 2007

  3. FeelLikeANut

    Paul Guest

    Um, aren't the chipset and peripheral chips completely different
    between the two computers ?

    You can do what you're trying to do, if you follow the Acronis
    restore, immediately by a Repair Install. That will not disturb
    your settings, neither will it upset your applications. But it
    will require reinstalling any missing Service Packs, security
    updates from Windows Update, reinstalling any versions of Internet
    Explorer more recent than the one that comes with the installer
    CD, and so on.

    You can build a better install CD, with something like Nlite, if
    you can figure out how to use it. Using Autostreamer, to incorporate
    a Service Pack, to my Windows installer CD, is more my speed (nothing
    to set up). What you'd be attempting to do here, is incorporate
    as much of the Windows updating as possible, into an install CD,
    so that the next time you have to do a Repair Install, there is
    less incremental effort, to get the OS "current".

    http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 24, 2007
  4. FeelLikeANut

    Uncle Grumpy Guest

    You're a moron.

    That's where you went wrong.

    Uncle Grumpy, Nov 24, 2007
  5. FeelLikeANut

    FeelLikeANut Guest

    I didn't install any drivers on the desktop for exactly that reason.
    Windows default/preloaded drivers are sufficient for the desktop to
    run. The same is true for the laptop. I would think that Windows could
    make the transition, essentially, by detecting new hardware. Is that a
    bad assumption?

    FeelLikeANut, Nov 24, 2007
  6. FeelLikeANut

    Paul Guest

    I've succeeded in doing a transfer from one machine to another, by
    using the default Microsoft IDE driver on the original machine, and
    the machine receiving the disk was also compatible with the Microsoft
    provided IDE driver. So it can be done. (Awful driver mess to clean up,
    and many reboots, but it worked. My transfer was done while using Win2K.)
    But if you want a solution that is guaranteed to work under all
    circumstances, you cannot rely on something like that. Some of the
    modes the chipsets run in, really need the manufacturer's drivers
    (AHCI, NCQ, RAID, take your pick of acronym-of-the-week). If you want
    a recipe with better odds of working, a Repair Install is a better
    bet. And even then, there may be cases where "the wheels fall off"
    and you have to start over again. I see the occasional mention of
    that.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 24, 2007
  7. FeelLikeANut

    Wandering Guest

    Of course you may believe what you wish, but the operating system as it runs
    on your desktop included all the installed drivers, by you or by Windows,
    and these are not the proper drivers for your laptop. It has its own
    drivers, and they are quite different.

    When Windows first starts to boot, it loads all the drivers selected by the
    operating system first. When it has done that successfully, it loads
    Windows. If it cannot find the drivers, the default condition is to restart
    on the assumption that they should be there, and were somehow not properly
    read. If they are not there, and for you laptop they are NOT there, it just
    keeps restarting.

    There is no point in arguing this. What you see above is what IS, what you
    read from your text below is what you wish it were.

    The method you chose simply does not work. No need to take my word for it.
    Just watch your laptop try to boot the desktop drivers....

    Wandering, Nov 24, 2007
  8. FeelLikeANut

    Wandering Guest

    Yes, Paul, it can work if the systems are very similar, but as you
    discovered even then it's not easy. I bet your second I bet both your
    machines were either desktop or same-brand laptops. Laptops are notorious
    for their brand-specific, model-specific, unique drivers.

    Wandering, Nov 24, 2007
  9. FeelLikeANut

    Paul Guest

    I class it as a "trick", because you have to know something about
    the chipsets involved. In my case, both desktop computers
    used Intel chipsets, and they have a compatibility mode you
    can use. The "trick" is not general purpose, which is why
    I wouldn't suggest it to someone as a cure. Other chipsets
    really need their own driver, something you'd install with
    F6 during a Repair Install.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 24, 2007
  10. FeelLikeANut

    llort Guest

    TI is for making back-up images to that same PC. You need their other
    produce (Migrate Easy?) to "clone" to another PC. Have a look here and ask:

    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php

    Llort

    llort, Nov 24, 2007
  11. FeelLikeANut

    Wandering Guest

    Yes, he needed a clone tool, and that option exists in TI though he didn't
    use it.. But it is still limited to systems that are fairly similar and not
    for the faint of heart as Paul attests. He's dealing with the worst
    possible case in moving between a desktop and a laptop. Nor does he mention
    brand, chipsets, video systems, and such. Laptop stuff just isn't desktop
    stuff....

    I hope he has a copy of the original laptop disks, without them he's in a
    world of hurt.

    Good luck to all, and think hard before venturing down this road.

    I have friends who maintain hundreds of apparently identical PCs, and they
    still have problems with this trick.

    I really don't have anything more to add, so bye...

    Wandering, Nov 25, 2007
  12. FeelLikeANut

    - Bobb - Guest

    The phone's ringing ... it's for you ... Microsoft's lawyer holding.

    You backup up system A and reinstalled on system B. Think of it as
    instructions/directions. On the original/ same model system, the
    directions are the same. ( Left/ then 2 rights/ 2 lefts ...) You installed
    on a DIFFERENT pc and "how to get from here to there" is TOTALLY
    different. All of a laptop's stuff is done internally on a few chips and
    on the desktop it MIGHT use separate parts of machine, so when you tell
    XP to "turn on the network" it's instructions to new different CPU have
    NOTHING to do with a network ( or video etc) . The desktop may have a $300
    video card at address 123 and the address of the laptop's video is at 456.
    The CPU starts out with basic video OK, then XP tells it to use address
    123- XP doesn't know how to "do what you told it" / crashes and reboots.

    - Bobb -, Dec 11, 2007
  13. Why would Microsoft give a rat's __ ? It's entirely possible the OP has a
    license for each PC and is using the retail version of XP.
    To the OP: you'd need Acronis' "universal restore" plugin for TrueImage -
    which is not offered in the workstation version IIRC, and is not 100%
    seamless anyway.

    Bottom line - unless you have fairly identical hardware, you can't simply
    image. You can *try* doing a repair install on the laptop now, tho.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Dec 11, 2007