    Guest Guest

    My computer shows that I have a wireless connection, but then permanently
    says "aquiring network address." What can I do to connect?!!

    Guest, Jan 15, 2006

  2. Guest

    Malke Guest

    It depends on your setup, about which you've told us nothing. The error
    means that your computer is set to get its IP address from a DHCP
    server, usually a wireless router in home situations. What equipment do
    you use? In the meantime, please see these links:

    How to write a good newsgroup post:
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2

    How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313242

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 15, 2006

  3. Guest

    Dave Guest

    mine has a static ip assigned and the tray icon still says that
    occasionally. it doesn't seem to affect how it works. if on the other hand
    you can't connect it may mean that the dhcp server isn't working or a
    firewall is blocking something.

    Dave, Jan 15, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Sorry about my poorly written question, but thank you for your reponse
    (computers aren't my thing). My computer runs on Windows XP. The wireless
    router is Liksys WRT54G "Broadband Router" I have DSL service through verizon
    (Westell 6100) I have never able to completely install the router because no
    matter what I do (I've spent hours on the phone with Verizon and Linksys) I
    can never get beyond step 7 when an error message "unable to detect router"
    comes on. Nonetheless, I know I am connected to the wireless network, but
    then, as I say, it simply says "acquiring network address" and I can never
    connect. Thanks again for your help!

    Guest, Jan 15, 2006
  5. Guest

    ato_zee Guest

    Start -> All Programs -> accessories -> DOS to get the DOS
    command prompt, a black window with a path at the top.
    Type
    ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    now look in C:\ for file
    ipconfig.txt (or do a search for it).
    Click on it, or open it with notepad.
    Report back with what it says.
    There are other useful DOS commands, but that will
    do for starters.

    ato_zee, Jan 15, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks...it says:
    Ethernet Adapter LAN 3:
    Connection specific DIIS suffix:
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0.
    Subnet mask:

    Ethernet Adapter wnc3
    media state: media disconnected

    PPP adapter
    ( lists IP address & subnet address)

    Guest, Jan 16, 2006
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I too am having the same problem...
    Did linksys talk about how to set up all computers (LAN & wireless)
    properly? It seems to me that my router is blocking the IP address for
    wireless access.

    ~ tc

    Guest, Jan 16, 2006
  8. Guest

    Malke Guest

    Sorry to get back to you so late. I just had a client with this problem;
    they also use DSL but not from your provider. Short story: the ISP had
    given them what *looked* like a regular DSL modem but what was *really*
    a combination modem/router. It was a mistake (?) that the ISP had made
    when the clients originally subscribed and received the modem.

    It required the clients calling a higher level tech support at the ISP
    who walked them through setting up their Linksys router with the DSL
    modem. So I think you should call your ISP and don't accept the
    bottom-tier tech support you get when you first call.

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 16, 2006
  9. Guest

    ato_zee Guest

    Well it is now fairly obvious why it won't talk.
    IP address 0.0.0.0 and media disconnected
    is not good.
    Wouldn't like to diagnose how to get it working
    without being in front of the PC.
    For starters I'd set a static IP address and subnet
    mask in TCP/IP config. Gateway address might be
    a problem without more software tools, but as
    you are non-tech that is out, as they have a steep
    learning curve. The tools I'd use are netstumbler,
    since it is a wireless network, and Ethereal to look at
    the content of packets, their source, destination and
    whether echo requests (ping) are being acknowledged.
    It might be digging a deeper hole, but eBay has some
    cheap basic ADSL non-router wireless modems.
    If your ISP supplies or supports a particular model
    of modem that is the obvious choice.
    That would get a lot of the router (no router to configure)
    problems out of the way. Once you get something working
    you can work from there.

    ato_zee, Jan 16, 2006
  10. Guest

    Lem Guest

    I believe that it is becoming common (SOP?) for ISPs to provide DSL
    modem/routers. I know that Earthlink does this. Part of the reason is that
    it provides unsophisticated users with a level of security (i.e., the NAT
    router) even if they don't have a firewall active when they connect.
    Another part of the reason is $$ -- Earthlink, at least, charges $7.95 PER
    MONTH for "home networking." Quite a lot of $$, when you consider that you
    can do it for the price of router alone.

    To its credit, however, EL's first-tier support, as well as its on-line
    knowledge base, provides step-by-step instructions for configuring the dsl
    modem/router as a dsl modem/bridge.

    The DSLReports FAQ for the Verizon Westell 6100 supplies the requisite
    info: "How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600 (the corresponding FAQ for the BellSouth
    Westell 6100 is much more detailed; I haven't checked to see what, if any
    differences there are between the Verizon and BellSouth setups:
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6323) In following the next to last paragraph
    of the Verizon Westell FAQ, ("Now (almost done!) hook a cable between the
    modem and the router (Verizon usually supplies one), leaving the PC to
    router connection in place.") connect to the WAN jack on your Linksys
    router.
    (Go to http://www.dslreports.com/faqnew and search for westell 6100 for lots
    more info)

    Lem, Jan 17, 2006
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Here's why I think it is a problem with my computer--others can come to my
    house and the wireless works fine for them. I'm stuck with no IP address,
    and a constant "acquiring network address"

    Guest, Jan 17, 2006
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi CDA:

    Last night I was able to fix the same problem by re-installing my router. If
    you have a G Super Hi-Speed card, you will need to select "G" cards only in
    the setup.

    What you should do is connect with a hard wire (LAN) to re-install your
    router.
    Pay particular attention to the security mode you select as some wireless
    cards are not compatible with newer encryption methods.

    I did not secure my sight just to see if this was part of the problem...and
    guess what? It was.

    My wireless is working great now on all five computers ~ so the key here is
    to figure out how to setup the WEP or WPA without complications or having the
    router block me out.

    Once you have re-installed the router (without encryption) go into the
    control panel, then into network connections, then right click, and select
    view wireless connections.
    After you see the name of your router...highlight it and select the button
    in bottom right corner that says connect ~ click on it and you will be
    connected.

    You will be up and running on the Internet.

    Hope this helps,
    Tam

    Guest, Jan 18, 2006