  1. I'm sure that those who are in the business of servicing old equipment of
    unknown origins will know where to purchase new equipment of known
    origins - otherwise they won't be in that business for very long!

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 17, 2008

  2. RayC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    I'm just really pissed off that I'm only finding our about the site now!

    <g>

    ~misfit~, Jan 17, 2008

  3. RayC

    BTMO Guest

    It must be very liberating going through life without a clue....

    BTMO, Jan 17, 2008
  4. RayC

    Keith Guest

    The brand name is "Robertshaw" (no space) so your little bit of sarcasm
    has fallen flat.

    This, folks, is as close as you've ever going to get from SCLC as an
    admission that he's wrong.

    Keith, Jan 17, 2008
  5. Brilliant! I'll tell the customer that the next time their $250 000
    excavator stops moving because the $4000 computer control box has a
    faulty $10 IC. 'Oh, I'm sorry, I don't know where to get one of those.
    You'll have to nip over (no pun intended) to Japan and buy another
    excavator.'

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 18, 2008
  6. RayC

    Cima Guest

    Yep, pure genius! He should go find some water, I'm sure he could walk on it.

    Cima, Jan 18, 2008
  7. RayC

    Bret Guest

    What does the box control Roger?
    I'm interested in computerised excavator monitor systems.

    Bret, Jan 18, 2008
  8. You won't tell the customer that if you're in the business of supporting
    that manufacturer's equipment. You'll simply order the part.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 18, 2008
  9. Actually, it wasn't sarcasm. I was thinking about how German writes
    compound words without spaces, and about how English words slowly remove
    the spaces when it becomes accepted that the word actually is a compound
    word.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 18, 2008
  10. Yes, it's a pity we're not in that business. Some of our customer's come
    to us when the official agent tells them that that model (is no longer
    supported / was only sold in Japan / isn't repairable) and (needs to be
    replaced / nothing's available / can be fixed with a motherboard swap,
    you can wait 6 weeks for it to arrive can't you?).
    Aha! From where shall I order it, dear Liza, dear Liza, from where shall
    I order it, dear Liza, the part?

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 18, 2008
  11. Your regular supplier.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 18, 2008
  12. You are? Well I suppose everyone has to have a hobby ;o)

    From memory, it was a Komatsu excavator and the control box was mainly
    connected to the hydraulic valves and sensors, and I think the limit
    switches and cab controls. I've looked at a couple of them in the
    workshop, but never seen one actually installed and running. One had
    been driven into a river and was fine once the river silt was cleaned
    out (fortunately the circuit boards had a decent conformal coating on
    them). The other had a shorted solenoid brake release on the excavator
    which in turn caused the large surface mounted FET driving it to short
    and run hot until the solder melted and the FET fell off!

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 18, 2008
  13. RayC

    Bret Guest

    More a professional interest.
    LOL, sounds like fun (not)
    I was working for a dredging company last year, they used a system called
    Dipmate.
    http://www.dredgemate.com/02a.html

    Bret, Jan 18, 2008
  14. Our regular supplier? For a component we may have never seen before, in
    equipment we've never seen before, originally supplied years ago by an
    unknown company? I'll get right on to it.

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 18, 2008
  15. Attaboy.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 19, 2008
  16. RayC

    EMB Guest

    First stop, A'Court's Business Handbook either in print or online.

    EMB, Jan 20, 2008
  17. RayC

    RayC Guest

    I told the owner I consider $52.00 a year would be a fair fee.

    RayC, Jan 27, 2008
  18. RayC

    EMB Guest

    What was his reaction?

    EMB, Jan 27, 2008
  19. RayC

    impossible Guest

    Yes, pulling a number out of your arse is always the way to do business.

    impossible, Jan 27, 2008
  20. RayC

    RayC Guest

    the choice is theirs oh smart mouth one.

    $52.00 a year is fair for our business.

    From march they get nothing, as we will use Google like
    everyone else does.

    %2.0