    UBD moved to paid subscription then died 2 years later.

    Opportunity here for a new on-line business to fill the gap
    I think.

    RayC, Jan 17, 2008

  2. What is "a'court"?

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 17, 2008

  3. RayC

    RayC Guest

    www.acourt.co.nz

    RayC, Jan 17, 2008
  4. Oh.

    Another one of those useless websites that try to rip small to medium
    businesses off.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 17, 2008
  5. RayC

    Keith Guest

    au contraire

    In the past it has been very useful for tracking down businesses

    Keith, Jan 17, 2008
  6. RayC

    EMB Guest

    It's an extremely useful resource. They've been around in printed form
    since at least the early 1980's (with a significant cost for a copy of
    the book). The biggest mistake they made was ever providing the content
    for free on the net - it should have been a subscription site from the
    day it went online.

    EMB, Jan 17, 2008
  7. RayC

    impossible Guest

    Which explains the move to a subscription model. For any business that has a
    regular need to search this kind of database $175/year is a bargain.

    impossible, Jan 17, 2008
  8. RayC

    Keith Guest

    I won't argue with that I've always taken it to be a bit of a blessing.
    I was just countering Divine's nonsense about it being a rip-off.

    Keith, Jan 17, 2008
  9. Yes - I can see how it can be useful to have a list of brands - not!

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 17, 2008
  10. Have you thought about picking up a phone book?

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 17, 2008
  11. RayC

    impossible Guest

    Yes, so can I.

    impossible, Jan 17, 2008
  12. You really are stunningly ignorant.

    As I recall A'Court's includes a reverse phone book.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 17, 2008
  13. RayC

    Keith Guest

    Righto smarty, find for me the NZ import agency for RobertShaw gas
    controllers. Do it first through a'Courts and then through "a phone
    book".

    Keith, Jan 17, 2008
  14. RayC

    EMB Guest

    How else do you find the agent for a bit of equipment you need
    service/parts for if all you have is it's brand name?

    EMB, Jan 17, 2008
  15. By walking back into the store where you purchased it in the first place?

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 17, 2008
  16. I'm not interested in, and probably never will be interested in,
    importing any "robertshawgas controllers" (or should that be "robertshaw
    gascontrollers"?

    If you need gas controllers perhaps you should consult a doctor? ;o)

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 17, 2008
  17. I would expect that any business that uses that sort of equipment would
    know where they could purchase them from as a result of having purchased
    many of them in the past.

    Of what possible use is a directory like that for the general public?

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 17, 2008
  18. RayC

    BTMO Guest

    And if you are a company with an asset list that runs into hundreds of
    different manufacturers?

    Or you undertake a contract to maintain equipment wher the upstream support
    agreements have changed?

    Or you are looking for lower cost spares and wish to shop around?

    Or you are hired by a company where the person who walked into the original
    shop has moved on? And so has the original shop?

    BTMO, Jan 17, 2008
  19. RayC

    EMB Guest

    In the real world of the employed a lot of us have to service/repair
    older equipment of unknown heritage. I guess only having to look after
    things you have purchased at home takes a lot of the stress and
    imagination out of your life.

    EMB, Jan 17, 2008
  20. I'm not.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 17, 2008