    I mean adopt something - but not exactly the same, and make changes that
    render the two to be incompatible.

    Divine

    Divine, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    But they aren't incompatible. Don't forget just about everything in the IT
    world is not 100% implemented eg Mozilla doesn't implement 100% of the
    specs etc etc.

    It is vary rare for any given bit of hardware or software to fully
    implement all of every appropriate standard, and that is taken as a given.
    Interoperability is based around the common ground that everyone
    implements.

    There are bigger differences in features between Intel cpus. Software (ie
    the compilers mostly) either ignores those features or checks for which
    one it should use.

    This is no different to AMD leaving out various versions of SSE until
    later generations - does that make them 'embracing and extending'?

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 7, 2004

  3. actually, wouldn't it be "embrace selectivly, and extend"?

    Intel couldn't add 3dnow... that would give it validation as a good
    idea, hell, they're already using AMD's 64bit extensions.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Divine Guest

    Sounds like a source code vesion of the browser wars.

    Other than that, I think you're right - I agree with you.

    Divine

    Divine, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Divine Guest