    I shoot for the local paper and plan to do freelance work for some small
    magazines.

    Thanks in advance.

    stevo, Sep 14, 2006

  2. stevo

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    What's in the pro version that you want. All forms of ACDSee have really
    poor image editing and even work RAW processing. Version 9 has some nice new
    auto cataloging features like allows you to sort cataloged images by ISO,
    Shutter speed, etc. This is done automatically when you catalog your images.
    I like this, it makes ACDSee easier to use without having to go in an
    manually keyword, etc. your images.

    Hebee Jeebes, Sep 14, 2006

  3. stevo

    Mark² Guest

    For me, the main advantage is that it is color-aware. If you're not
    familiar...that means it takes color profiles indto account when it displays
    images. Without color awareness, you'll see different renditions of images
    between Photoshop and ACDSee. With it, you can make accurate judgements
    about your images as you browse. -A huge advantage for anyone serious
    enough to profile their monitors and work-flow. -And if you AREN'T doing
    this...that means your printing involves a lot of guess-work, wasted ink and
    paper (unless you're just not terribly picky).

    Mark², Sep 15, 2006
  4. stevo

    Mark² Guest

    Here's the main feture set listed on their site:

    -Lightning-fast RAW image previews.

    Powerful RAW processing that gives you full control over your images with
    precision tools for adjusting white balance, exposure, sharpness, and noise.

    -Extensive support for RAW formats from Nikon, Canon, Konica-Minolta,
    Olympus, Fuji, and Pentax cameras. View the full list.

    -Full color management support for ICC and ICM color profiles.

    -Visual tagging feature allows you to quickly sort and select preferred
    photographs.

    -Integrated support for the DNG (Digital Negative Specification) RAW format.

    -Batch editing of thousands of photographs at once using multiple functions.

    -Fully integrated IPTC support for interoperability with PhotoShop Captions.

    -Watermark your photographs with graphics or text to reflect copyright and
    ownership laws, or to overlay business-related information on specific
    photographs.

    -The Shadow/Highlight tool allows you to brighten only the dark areas of a
    photo, or darken only overexposed areas, or do both simultaneously.

    -HTML album templates designed to suit your professional needs. Customize
    them by adding your contact information, company logo, or a look and feel
    appropriate for your business.

    -Customizable Browser layouts, short-cut keys, and metadata meet your
    personalized requirements and streamline your workflow.

    -Quick editing features that allow you to easily fix common lens distortions
    such as perspective, barrel, pincushion, and fish-eye.

    -A complete User Guide and tutorials that make sure you hit the ground
    running.

    Mark², Sep 15, 2006
  5. stevo

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Lightning fast RAW image previews. Hmm. I don't think I would describe as
    that. Mediocre preview speed coupled with the worst RAW processing since
    Google Picasa (which also previews most RAW formats).

    Hebee Jeebes, Sep 15, 2006
  6. stevo

    stevo Guest

    Wow, I would never have guessed or even thought about that. That would be
    important to me.

    So, is Pro the only one to be color aware? Not 8 or 9?

    stevo, Sep 15, 2006
  7. stevo

    pltrgyst Guest

    mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..ne

    Let's see: do you mean minus infinity, or (excluding the negative evens) zero?

    You must receive (or not receive) some very oddly-addressed email.

    -- Larry

    pltrgyst, Sep 15, 2006
  8. stevo

    Mark² Guest

    Ya ya ya... We've been all through that before...
    :)
    It's a 2. Most figure it out just fine.

    Mark², Sep 15, 2006