ACDSee 6 - Why no thumbnails?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Cunningham, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. In ACDSee 6 (free trial), I go View/View Mode/Thumbnails and
    I expect to see thumbnail pictures, but all I get are
    squares with small icons in the center. I can change the
    thumbnail-square to any of five sizes from 320x240 down to
    40x30, but I never get the thumbnail pictures. All I get
    are the icons.

    I tried ACDSee 6 a month or two ago before I upgraded from
    Windows 98 to Windows XP, and I think I remember getting the
    thumbnail pictures then. I also remember that they loaded
    so slowly that it made me give up on ACDSee 6 and uninstall
    it.

    After upgrading to XP, I decided to give ACDSee 6 another
    chance. I haven't yet found anything particularly
    objectionable about it except for the absence of thumbnail
    pictures.

    If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd greatly appreciate
    seeing them. Is there an obscure option somewhere that
    needs to be set? Has ACD Systems decided not to display
    thumbnails until they can make them load faster? Is there
    anyone who is having the same problem I have and is as
    mystified as I am?

    I've tried to give the question to ACD Systems, but when I
    go through the menus at their Support site, eventually
    clicking on an option that says something like "I need help
    with free-trial ACDSee", I get to a page that says only that
    there are no FAQ items on that topic at this time.

    Can anyone give me an e-mail address where I can ask ACD
    Systems a specific question? Or a 'phone number where I can
    ask?

    Bob Cunningham, Dec 25, 2003

  2. Bob Cunningham

    Mark M Guest

    Have you downloaded their latest patch?
    Go to acdsystems.com and get it...download it.
    It has helped a great deal--and I was QUITE irritiated with the bugs in 6.0.

    Mark M, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Bob Cunningham

    JunkMonkey Guest

    Mark is correct, I also understand that there will also be another patch out
    in February that addresses the speed issue. You've already bought it, you
    might as well see if this takes care of your problems. Wait a minute,
    you're using the free trial, I don't know if the patches apply to the trial
    version.

    For what it's worth, after the upgrade, ACDSee is still the Big Dog that the
    other photo organizers have to compare themselves against.

    JunkMonkey, Dec 26, 2003
  4. Thanks to both for prompt responses.

    I should have mentioned that the version I'm using for the
    free trial is 6.02. Would that include the latest patch?

    Bob Cunningham, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Actually, what I should have said is that the version I'm
    using is 6.02.0014. I suspect the "0014" is something like
    a patch number.

    Bob Cunningham, Dec 26, 2003
  6. Bob Cunningham

    JunkMonkey Guest

    That's what my version says, but I'm not having the problems you report.
    While this version is somewhat slower than that of V5 (which was a VERY good
    product, and EXTREMELY fast), I am reasonably satisfied with the product at
    this point. Though, I am looking forward to the next patch release.

    I wonder if it is a quirk of your system? Maybe something installed that
    causes conflicts with ACDSee.

    JunkMonkey, Dec 26, 2003
  7. Thank you. That's valuable information, that you're not
    having the problem. Now I know it's not a bug in ACDSee 6.
    I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that I
    first installed V6 under Windows 98, then I upgraded to XP.
    I am able to uninstall V6 and reinstall it, and I've done
    that a few times, but I suspect that somewhere deep within
    the bowels of the computer there's something that remembers
    the W98 installation and that's keeping the XP installation
    from working. Some problems I've had with other packages --
    problems that have now been fixed -- tend to bear out my
    suspicion.

    I wish there were a way to contact ACD Systems, explain my
    symptoms and see if they recognize them and can suggest a
    fix. The Support Web pages are no help at all. They guide
    me through a series of links that ends up with them telling
    me they have no FAQ items that are applicable to the
    free-trial of V6. I find it hard to believe that there's a
    product that has no support group where you can ask a
    specific question, either by e-mail or by filling out a form
    on a Web page. How are people supposed to decide whether or
    not they want to buy the product if they can never see it
    working properly?

    If I get to the end of my free trial without finding out
    why I don't get thumbnail pictures, I just won't buy the
    product.

    Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

    ====================

    Bob Cunningham, Dec 27, 2003
  8. Bob Cunningham

    Rich Cullen Guest

    Rich Cullen, Dec 27, 2003
  9. Thank you, Rich. That looks promising. I'll see what
    happens when I ask a question there.

    ============================

    Bob Cunningham, Dec 27, 2003
  10. I did that, and I found the answer to my problem there. I
    don't have the exact reference, but the solution that worked
    for me had to do with deleting a folder called something
    like "Defaults". When I did that and restarted ACDSee 6,
    the thumbnails were there and have been there ever since.

    Thanks for the good advice.

    Bob Cunningham, Feb 13, 2004
  11. Bob Cunningham

    waltbx

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    SOLUTION: What I did. In ACDSee 7, If thumbs do not appear,
    Close ACDSee, then delete the "Default" folder as shown below.

    My Computer/Local Disk[C:] /Documents and Settings/Your User Name/Application Data/ACD Systems/Catalogs/70/Default

    My problem existed for months. The simple fix corrected it immediately. Why it's in Catalogs and why it was a problem, I don't know. ACDSee 7 with Windows XP.Pro.

    waltbx, Jun 5, 2014