ACD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ButchKersh, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. ButchKersh

    ButchKersh Guest

    Hello, last week I had trouble connecting to the internet and I talked to at
    least ten different techs from my DSL provider, MS, PC company and retailer-
    they all had different answers, but I ended up deleting a whole lot of files
    and stuff especially firewalls both MS and anti-virus company's firewall and
    the anti-virus program also- so right now my PC is working like a champ
    except for the other problem I have had a while now-that is I get
    non-responding program alert when a web page does not come up and the
    internet freezes and I have to do the so called three fingered salute ACD-
    this problem persists- I had been adding some ad-aware and spy ware and
    other so called clean the PC programs just before my problem last week which
    I uninstalled all (I really did not like waiting for these programs to come
    on since it took forever and they really never discovered much
    My questions are: Does anyone know a solution to the ACD problem that does
    not include adding programs such as a third party software utility which the
    DSL techs say hey do not support;
    and should I re-install the anti-virus program although I have had a PC for
    many years without viruis problems and just within the last year installed a
    virus program due to all of the publicity re: viruses and worms etc. I feel
    I am better off w/o additional stuff

    Thanks for any input

    ButchKersh, Dec 17, 2003

  2. ButchKersh

    Boomer Guest

    Hello

    Hopefully this will help.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm and also

    ~ Munging ~
    http://www.ecofuture.org/jmnews.html#hide

    If you use Outlook Express go to...
    Tools> Accounts...> News tab> Properties button> General tab.
    Under "User Information" change the "Name", "E-mail address"
    and "Reply address" fields.

    Example:

    Verify that it is Not a valid domain here:
    http://www.canufly.net/~georgegg/dns/

    ~ Spambots ~
    http://www.sendfakemail.com/fakemail/botbait/makebait.asp

    Boomer, Dec 17, 2003

  3. ButchKersh

    ButchKersh Guest

    Thanks a lot - I will try your suggestions

    Butch

    ButchKersh, Dec 17, 2003
  4. ButchKersh

    Harrison Guest

    Since you have DSL, you more than likely have some firewall capability
    built into the router or modem. Therefore, no additional firewall is
    necessary. You can further protect yourself if you're using Windows XP
    by enabling the built-in firewall. Click Start> Help> and search for
    'firewall' for more information on that.

    Antivirus software is necessary, however, and you should install it
    and keep it up to date.

    If you are not using the most recent version of IE, then download and
    install IE6 SP1.
    You could also try alternative browsers such as Mozilla.

    Download and run hijackthis from http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    and paste the results here for further review.
    The program is free and it is not installed on your system. It's a
    simple executable which will report what is starting when your
    computer starts up. In most cases, it finds browser hijackers and
    other problems which can cause the things you're describing.

    Harrison, Dec 17, 2003