ACD See database

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I'm desperate, and hoping someone out there can help this dummy who
    bought ACD See latest version (6.02).

    I have a collection of photos in a directory on my HD, and the ACD See
    database in a separate directory. I want to be able to put the photos
    and the database on a CD so that another ACD See user can use them.
    Sounds simple enough.

    ACD See provides several ways that should do this, but none seems to
    work.

    One is "Create disc" procedure. It looks good. The images I select
    go into the root directory of the new disc. The database goes into a
    subdirectory (called "Catalog") on the new disc. I change the path
    recorded by ACD See for the location of the database to the path on
    the new disc (and, as directed, restart ACD See to register the
    change).

    Then the trouble begins: When viewing the images on the new disc
    (using ACD See), I can't get them to access the database on the new
    disc. So thumbnails do not appear, but only the ACD See icon in their
    place. Most importantly, the Captions that I've laboured to write
    don't appear.

    ACD See won't answer my request for help. Surely the package can't be
    so unprofessional that there is no solution? (I want my photos and
    their captions to outlive my computer!)

    Can anyone, PLEASE, tell me how to make the images on the new disc
    link to the database on the new disc.

    Thanks.

    Tony Williams,
    5 January 2004.

    Tony, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Tony

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    Don't know ACDC; but it probably expects to find them both in
    the same directory?

    Why not dos copy both to the root of one of your drives, then
    burn them all from there?

    Use a RW to experiment with; that way won't even cost you
    a blank to test it out with :)

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jan 5, 2004

  3. I haven't tried creating a disk with the ACDSee feature, but
    it's quite simple with my CD-burner software to create a
    disk that can be dragged and dropped to.

    I just did that. The CD-burner is drive E. I opened two
    Windows Explorer windows and navigated one of them to the
    folder containing the pictures I wanted, and the other one
    to the E drive. I then simply dragged and dropped an entire
    folder from one to the other with one click of the mouse.

    I could have selected individual pictures and dragged and
    dropped them one at a time, or I could have highlighted any
    selection of pictures in the Windows Explorer window and
    dragged and dropped that selection to the CD.

    I then went into ACDSee 6, navigated to the E drive in its
    folder list, and brought up the folder containing the
    pictures. ACDSee handled them the same, including
    thumbnails, as if I had accessed them from the original
    folder on my hard drive.

    I had forgotten that the folder had a subfolder containing
    an executable slide-show file I had put together earlier
    using ACDSee 6. That folder came along with the
    drag-and-drop operation. I was pleased to find that inside
    ACDSee I could click on that executable file on the CD and
    see the slide show. (To me the ability to create a
    transportable slide show is one of the most -- if not the
    most -- attractive features of ACDSee 6.) I could mail the
    CD to someone who doesn't even have ACDSee and they could
    click on the executable file in Windows Explorer and see the
    slide show.

    My CD burner is a Roxio I bought from Gateway. I've heard
    that not all CD-burner software will let you create a disk
    that you can drag and drop to. It's one of several options
    with the Roxio software that I have. Maybe yours will do it
    too.

    By the way, I dragged and dropped one picture that has a
    caption to see if the caption went along with the picture.
    It did.

    I also brought up the E drive in the software that came with
    my camera -- ZoomBrowser -- and verified that all of the
    nitty-gritty stats that came from the camera with the
    picture were still available (like what camera the picture
    was taken with, the date and time the picture was taken, the
    shutter speed, aperture, focal length the zoom was set to,
    image size (like 1600 x 1200), and a few dozen other items
    of information).

    Bob Cunningham, Jan 5, 2004
  4. I've now tried the "Create Disk" feature in ACDSee, and it
    works okay for me. I created a disk containing the pictures
    I had selected. I then went to the E drive in the ACDSee
    file list and created a catalog on the CD using
    Database-->Catalog Files. I then found that when I selected
    one of the pictures on the E drive and clicked
    File-->Properties, I got a ton of information about the
    picture.

    An important point is that I first tried using the ACDSee
    "Create Disk" feature using a CD-RW disk. It didn't work.
    When I tried it with a CD-R disk, everything went okay.

    For the procedure I described earlier using Windows Explorer
    windows and drag and drop, I used a CD-RW disk with no
    problem.

    ========================

    Bob Cunningham, Jan 5, 2004
  5. (Tony) wrote in
    I've tried the "Create Disc" feature too, and yes, it does put a database
    on the disk. The reason I can say this with certainty is that I can go
    and look on the disk and see the directory is there, complete with files
    that have the same names that files in my database directory has.

    But that's where it stops too. Under no circumstances have I been able to
    import this information back into ACDSee on a different computer. Or,
    well, sort of... let me explain.

    What I did was to select a bunch of cataloged images, and create a disc
    with them, complete with database information.

    I then go to another computer, with ACDSee installed, but no database,
    insert the disc and point ACDSee to it. I then, per instructions in the
    help file, ask ACDSee to import the database on the cd, and it does
    something here. Some progress bars fly over the screen and its done. I
    can then find my categories in ACDSee just as I had them in the database
    on the other computer.

    However, ACDSee has not added any of the photos found on the disc into
    those categories, nor have it loaded any other information about the
    photos. It has only loaded the list of categories. This is really useful,
    NOT!

    Additionally, if you check the checkbox which instructs the "Create
    Disc" feature to create directories on the cd corresponding to the
    categories you've tagged your images with, then it does.... absolutely
    nothing different from before.

    To me, it looks like this whole feature has been tested just as far as
    burning the cd and not beyond. ACD Systems have not responded to *any*
    email nor support request I've sent them, and I've sent them quite a few,
    and except that I did get the software and they did charge the credit
    card, I doubt there's people alive in that building.

    I'm sorry to say this, but ACD Systems looks like they're producing a
    good piece of software, but they need to learn a thing or two about
    support.

    I've given up on ACDSee. I switched to Photoshop Album 2, and now to
    IMatch. The support of IMatch is absolutely stunning, and although I
    haven't looked for it, I strongly suspect that the export and import
    features allows me to do this here.

    Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen, Jan 5, 2004
  6. Tony

    MJ Guest

    Has anybody ever had any support from this company???

    MJ

    MJ, Jan 6, 2004