    users on the OS X Leopard Mac.
    From Vista, if I try and map a drive to them, it prompts for a
    username/password. So far, so good. However, it doesn't accept the
    username and password I give it, I suspect because it's expecting a
    local user on the PC from which I'm connecting: a thought backed up by
    it defaulting to PC-name\username in the dialogue box.

    How do I tell Vista to just use the account information on the remote
    box and stop messing around?
    I don't have this problem with any non-MS OSs.

    Suggestions?
    Ric

    Ric, Nov 22, 2008

  2. Ric

    Graham J Guest

    What is the name of your OSX system?

    Use that in OSX-Name\username : password ....?

    Alternatively, create a user on OSX of the same name and password as exists
    on the the PC. Share some part of this user's file system. Then you should
    be able to see this from the PC and connect to it.

    Graham J, Nov 22, 2008

  3. Ric

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    Turn on SMB sharing. The username you should use is in the format
    [email protected] If the Mac is named Kilimanjaro, and the user is Lenana,
    then the username is . Usernames are not case
    sensitive. Passwords, however, are.

    J.J. O'Shea, Nov 22, 2008
  4. Ric

    Ric Guest

    Found it. Users in OS X who are "sharing only" can't access SMB
    shares.
    Solution: create full user account, under sharing...options tick that
    user for SMB access, then set file permissions as usual.
    Grr.

    Ric, Nov 22, 2008