    I've tried setting OpenDNS servers or google DNS servers but that
    prevents me accessing google.

    Not seen this before - anyone got any ideas please?

    Robert, Nov 27, 2014

  2. dunno. Like most linux users my linux box ahas its own caching dns
    server so I just go to the root servers and find my way from there.
    Works for me OK

    My guess is that your 'local' name servers got corrupted.

    The Natural Philosopher, Nov 28, 2014

  3. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Seems to be a more general problem according to Twitter @BTCare - others
    in same situation - if they DONT use BT DNS servers, then google and
    youtube are unavailable.

    Robert, Nov 28, 2014
  4. Robert

    Invalid Guest

    Could it be that BT have a direct link into Google, YouTube etc for load
    balance/caching purposes (or GCHQ convenience) and are blocking access
    via other routes.

    What does a tracert show with the two name servers.

    Regards

    Invalid, Nov 28, 2014
  5. Do you have parental controls enabled? If so, try disabling them.

    Plusnet Support Team, Nov 28, 2014
  6. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    Lots of technical info here on tracerts and nslookups using different
    DNS and how people are being affected.
    If individuals are using BT DNS they may not see a problem although some
    are having trouble with YouTube even using BT DNS apparently.

    https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/DNS-hijacking/td-p/1417031
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Youtube-issues-today/m-p/1417011#M98419
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Problem-reaching-Google/td-p/1417053

    Looks like they broke something fairly recently, perhaps in connection
    with their recent blocking of torrent sites, including sites NOT covered
    by recent court orders.
    https://torrentfreak.com/bt-starts-blocking-private-torrent-sites-141126/

    Can't see Google or OpenDNS being too happy about this?

    Robert, Nov 28, 2014
  7. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion - but - NO - Absolutely not. I prefer to make
    my own choices about internet and any controls would be very much at a
    machine level, not controlled by my ISP at a network level.
    This is not an "individual user" issue - it's affecting lots of people
    and has now been officially acknowledged by BT.

    Robert, Nov 28, 2014
  8. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Well - that is my theory, yes - I think it is a side effect of the
    latest torrent blocking by BT - and I think someone messed up in the
    implementation. But I don't expect to hear anyone admitting it anytime soon!
    I'll just add it to the many other BT snafu's such as BTMail, BTYahoo
    hacking, and Phorm.

    Robert, Nov 28, 2014
  9. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Now seems to be resolved - at least three threads on the BT customer
    forums discussing it.

    Remarkably similar story to this incident in Turkey
    http://www.bgpmon.net/turkey-hijacking-ip-addresses-for-popular-global-dns-providers/

    Turks seem to have been able to make their interference a bit less
    transparent.

    Robert, Nov 28, 2014