Accessing 10.x.x.x LAN from home network behind a router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Joni Heino, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Joni Heino

    Joni Heino Guest

    Hello,

    I recently bought a Linksys WRT54G Broadband Router, and ever since,
    I've been unable to connect to the computers in our campus' 10.x.x.x
    network.

    The current situation is this:
    - The WRT54G gets a public IP address (82.128.x.x) from the Campus
    network from DHCP (PPPoE)
    - I'm using the private 192.168.1.x network in my local home network
    (wireless and wired), computers get their (local) IP addresses from the
    WRT54G by DHCP

    Routing table entry list is as follows:

    Destination LAN IP Subnet Mask Gateway Interface
    213.139.183.242 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0 WAN (Internet)
    192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 LAN & Wireless
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 213.139.183.242 WAN (Internet)

    What I would like is to have the WRT54G to allow my computers inside my
    192.168.x.x home network to be able to communicate with the computers
    in the Campus 10.x.x.x network. Is this possible and if it is, then how
    can I make it work?

    I've tried some static routing settings in the "Advanced Routing"
    section of the WRT54G's administrative tool, but I'm practically
    clueless here and have no idea if the settings there are even related
    to the problem.

    BR,

    Joni

    Joni Heino, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Joni Heino

    AM Guest

    You didn't us where the 10.x.x.x is.
    Anyway your routing table seems to me strange, doesn't it? Have you set up it by yourself? I mean, do they belong to the
    advanced routing configuration, or did the router set them asking you basic information?

    Alex.

    AM, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Joni Heino

    Joni Heino Guest

    You didn't us where the 10.x.x.x is.
    set up it by yourself? I mean, do they belong to the
    basic information?

    The routing table has looked the same all the time (my advanced routing
    tests have had no affect on the table). I'm pretty sure the routing
    table was set by the router itself while I entered the basic setup (at
    least, I don't recall editing anything complex during the initial
    configuration).

    Joni Heino, Feb 8, 2005
  4. You need a VPN, since 10.x.x.x addresses are not routable on the public
    Internet.

    Barry Margolin, Feb 9, 2005