Accessed a shared printer on a home network.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Crash, Mar 11, 2008.

  1. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Greetings all,

    I have a home network with 3 computers on it - where comp1 is running
    XP Pro and comp2 and 3 are running XP home. Comp2 has a local printer
    connected via a USB connection and all works well with local printing.
    I have declared the printer as shared with a share name of Brother on
    comp2.

    On comp1 any attempt to add a printer through the share on comp2
    fails. Using the 'add printer' wizard if I choose 'browse for printer'
    then the list shows the workgroup name and comp2 but there is no share
    reported for 'Brother' as I would expect.

    If I choose 'Connect to this printer' and enter \\comp2\brother or
    just \\comp2 then I get a logon request dialog - titled 'Connect to
    laptop' but with text in it that says 'connecting to comp2'. The user
    name is grayed out but has 'comp1\guest' in it and I have to enter a
    password. Whatever I enter as a password (including nothing) gives a
    'Windows could not connect to the printer.....' error.

    I was expecting the 'browse for printer' option to show a list that
    includes the printer share (Brother) under comp2 - then simply
    choosing the share should complete the wizard. Equally entering
    \\comp2\brother in the 'connect to' box should achieve the same
    result.

    Can anyone give me any clues on what might be causing this problem?

    TIA,

    Crash.

    Crash, Mar 11, 2008

  2. Crash

    impossible Guest

    Sounds like you don't have file and printer sharing enabled. Have a quick
    look here to see that you've covered all the bases:

    http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2006/01/enable-file-and-printer-sharing-on-xp.html

    Then if you're still having trouble I'm sure that one of the local experts
    can assist.

    impossible, Mar 11, 2008

  3. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Many thanks Impossible - tried those suggestions (the 'Use simple File
    sharing' option was checked on comp1 (XP PRO) so I unchecked it and on
    comp2 (XP home) this option was not showing. The problem persists
    though.

    I also tried turning the Windows Firewall off on both machines - but
    that did not fix it either,

    Crash.

    Crash, Mar 12, 2008
  4. Crash

    impossible Guest

    Simple File Sharing is all that XP Home can do, so you want to be sure to
    enable that setting on your XP Pro machine(s). Also, you don't want to
    disable your firewall -- you just want to set it so that File and Printer
    Sharing is not blocked. See the "Exceptions" tab.

    If that doesn't work, then I'd suspect a more basic problem with your
    network configuration. Have you run the Network Setup Wizard on each
    machine?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/homenet.mspx

    I know it seems like ABC stuff, but it's easy to miss little details.

    impossible, Mar 12, 2008
  5. Crash

    Charlie G Guest

    IIRC, I had a simlar problem when I had the guest account disabled on
    the computer with the printer... but then I've had a heap of similar
    problems with windows networking <shrug>

    Charlie G, Mar 12, 2008
  6. Crash

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Hi Crash

    I would consider buying an Ethernet to USB printer server. These are
    not too expensive, and once installed you can forget about having the
    "printer computer" switched on before you print. I have been using one
    with a Brother HL-1430 for a couple of years.

    An even better idea is to buy a network printer, but they tend to be
    pricy.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Mar 12, 2008
  7. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Hi Ron,

    Thanks for the suggestion. I have been considering buying an ADSL2+
    router and some of these, IIRC, include a print server feature.

    Crash.

    Crash, Mar 12, 2008
  8. Yes, my usr (spare) router has a usb port for printers. I've no idea
    how it works though:
    I bought a HP 2600 series printer with built in network card so not
    all the print requests would go through my machine any more, and that
    works a treat. The only p.i.t.a. is the space requirement and the
    requirement for MSIE 5.5 prerequisite for installation of the drivers!
    Huh? MSIE??? <sigh>. The ppl at HP do some funny stuff with software.

    Works a treat though. Nice printer. Sadly can't find it to buy any
    more but I am sure they have a follow-up model. It was sub $300
    i.i.r.c.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Mar 13, 2008
  9. Crash

    Dave Taylor Guest

    You need to edit the permissions of the share.
    This is a very common problem.
    Google for the " Printer sharing to win9x from XP" tips as the process will
    specifically address the "unknown user" issue.

    Dave Taylor, Mar 19, 2008
  10. Crash

    Crash Guest

    I would not normally go down that track - because none of the machines
    are running win9x.

    As it turns out the problem was solved by running the network
    connection wizard of the XP pro machine (comp1). I could have sworn I
    had done this before but never mind.

    Thanks to all who responded.

    Crash.

    Crash, Mar 19, 2008
  11. Crash

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Wait until you try and share some resources with Vista as a host to some
    older MS OS.
    You run the wizard and it still won't work... I sure hope SP1 fixes that
    and removes the need to do manual work arounds ( permissions on folders) on
    both the host and sometimes having to install software services on guest
    computers!
    I was pretty upset to find a broken wizard in a shipping product,
    especially since Vista was so extensively beta tested.
    Oh well, it does the job and looks great when you throw new grunty hardware
    at it.

    Dave Taylor, Mar 19, 2008